* Monitoring certificates

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
bloofer
Family Historian: V7

Monitoring certificates

Post by bloofer »

Although I have been researching my family history for years using both physical and online resources and also used Family Historian since version 3, I haven't spent a lot of time collecting certificates. It was only when my mother died that we discovered birth and marriage certificates for a number of the family. Although she knew about my research she never offered any help, sadly. Now that the GRO are offering PDF it is simpler to collect the certificates. I have moved on to this tack recently as census and summary registrations online have had conflicting information - I have found one part of my family that have had the "official" surname misspelt on at least three occasions which has caused huge confusion let alone transcript errors.

So, what I am looking to do now is to be able to report in some way (as I have a very big family - 12 siblings for my father and 10 for my mother) on if I have the certificate (birth, marriage or death).

Has anyone else been tracking the certificates and have created reports. Essentially, I want to see what I have and what I need to order. Happy to have suggestions for creating custom queries or looking at being creative in charts to see things easily.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Monitoring certificates

Post by tatewise »

Could you please complete your profile on the right with your FH version?
Click on your username, and navigate to Edit Profile, select the Family Historian version, then scroll down to SUBMIT.

There are several Queries for analysing BMD Sources in the FHUG Knowledge Base Downloads.

There are also ways of Using Icons in Diagrams to indicate who has BMD Certificates, etc.

However, to provide the best advice we need to know how you are recording your Source Citations of BMD Certificates.
But the methods available depend on which FH version you are using, which takes us back to my initial request.

You may also be interested in the companion program Ancestral Sources that many use to simplify capturing the details from Certificates in Source Citations.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bloofer

Re: Monitoring certificates

Post by bloofer »

Apologies for not replying as only recently was I able to work on this.

I managed to find another post from a user you helped out with diagram icons and that has worked for me. I use a letter icon to denote what certificate I have and a "?" to denote where I have applied for a certificate.

For reference this is what I did:

I created separate generic citations for Birth, Marriage, and Death and so consequently separate expressions for each type of certificate.

In Diagram, Options, Boxes, I added the following Expressions

All, apart from the GRO Certificate, where cut an pasted from expressions you provided on a previous post.
=IsTrue(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL% = "GRO Certificate")
=IsTrue(%INDI.DEAT.SOUR>TITL% = "Death Certificate")
=IsTrue(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL% = "Birth Certificate")
=IsTrue(%CUR~FAMS>MARR.SOUR>TITL% = "Marriage Certificate")

So thank you so much for the advice as it this solution was exactly what I was looking for.