* Sources v6 migrated to v7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Denise
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Sources v6 migrated to v7

Post by Denise »

Firstly let me admit that I'm not particularly techy minded so any replies do need to follow the KISS format. Consider me the S(tupid) one.

I've been using FH from at least V4 but have only scratched the surface at each upgrade. As long as it does what I want, I'm not worried about the deeper/more complicated applications.

This week I've transferred my V6 into V7, & am horrified to discover that all of my previous generic sources no longer contain the citation. I'd been using the method 2 shown on this link,

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/citin ... -method-2/

but with the details posted into the Text from Source box. The (eg) Freebmd is showing, but not the details. Do I now have to retrace my steps and enter each individuals eg Freebmd listing again?

Thank you in anticipation.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Sources v6 migrated to v7

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Relax -- you haven't lost any data, it just isn't showing up the way it used to.

Post a screenshot of what you're seeing and we'll talk you though 'finding' it again.

Forum Usage Tips has instrctions for taking screenshots and attaching them, in case you need instructions.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Argh - playing around with adding a citation into the Text from Source box on the upgrade, it would appear that 'Freebmd' now contains the same text from source for absolutely every one where that source has been used.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Don't touch a thing! Post us a screenshot of what you're seeing.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

]I would post a screen shot if I could! I can do a snip but can't see how to upload
screen shot.JPG
screen shot.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

OH has been dragged away from the snooker on TV :D

There's nothing written in any of the other tabs
Attachments
source.JPG
source.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Last edited by Denise on 04 Dec 2021 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Save the snip as a file if you haven't already done so.

Attachment files are added via the Attachments tab below the Post a new topic/Post a reply text box. Drag & Drop a file to text box will also work.

If you use the Attachments tab, once you've attached the file, select Place inline to have it show up in the body of your message.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Managed it - with OH's help. Thank you for your suggestions
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

source.JPG
source.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
screen shot.JPG
screen shot.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

What do you see when you click on the little + to the left of FreeBMD in the yellow 'Sources for:' pane. Or when you double click on the text 'Free BMD'. Both those show the citation detail. (The + expands to show you the citation fields only; the double click shows you the source details and the citation fields in a single window.

I suspect you're clicking on the source number, which brings up the Source record and not the Citation.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

expanded.JPG
expanded.JPG (22.72 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
When the Freebmd is double clicked, then the citation is revealed. Thank goodness for that!
As per the previous example, I'd clicked the Freebmd then the blue arrow down on at the bottom.

Really appreciate your help, Thank you
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Click on the cog at the bottom of the Sources for Pane and choose one of the footnote formats. (It's currently set to Source Record). That might be an easier way for you to see more detail before you double click to open the citation.

The blue arrow will always take you to the Source record, not the citation.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Think I've got it. Thank you so much.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To imitate FH v6 some users customise the FH v7 Sources For and Citation Window so they are stacked one above the other to the right of the Property Box.

Use Tools > Preferences > Property Box and set Preferred Position for Citation List Pane (i.e. Sources For pane) both to Open in New Window.
Then both the Citation List (Sources For) Pane and the Citation Window are floating windows that can be positioned to the right of the Property Box such that the details are similar to FH v6.
However, to achieve that the main FH window containing the Focus Window and Property Box must be smaller than the PC screen so that there is space to its right for the two floating windows.

See Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window for more details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Thank you Mike. It's certainly something to consider.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Denise, I’m a little concerned that in one of your earlier posts you said “it would appear that 'Freebmd' now contains the same text from source for absolutely every one where that source has been used.”

Have you now been able to find the text associated with each citation, which should be different in each case?
Lorna
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

There's an article in the KNowledgeBase (Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources) if you want to follow up on Mike's suggestion -- although I don't think we should be bombarding you with too many suggestions right now! (The content of the article is courtesy of Lorna).
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Yes Lorna - all has now been explained. ColeValleyGirl has been a great help. I must admit to being on the verge of tears at the thought of having to re-do BMD references etc associated with every name.

The comment "same text from source for absolutely every one where that source has been used.” was a result of my trying to add details rather than leave the text box blank. OH always tells me to experiment, so I did! Its been sorted out now.
Denise
Gold

Post by Denise »

Thank you ColeValleyGirl. I might look at it at a later date....once my heart rate has returned to normal :lol:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I looked at that KB article, hoping it would describe the Property Box, Sources For, Citation Window layout that I've just described but it does not :(
It only talks about customising the Source record Property Box.
Perhaps, it needs an entry in Maintaining the Knowledge Base?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry