* Text from Source

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RikkiR
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Text from Source

Post by RikkiR »

I have an issue that I have just become aware of as I have had no need to run the Sources and Citation report before.

I migrated from TMG to FH V6 and then on to V7.0.8. Because of the history of being in TMG the method I use is of a “lumper”, one source many citations. The issue I have found though is when I run the Sources and Citation report, the information is dragged in twice in a lot of instances (see example below for Ann McCormick). On checking the citation I found that the problem is that a number of the citations have the information in the “Text From Source” tab on the citation and also in the “Notes” tab on the citation. I can only assume this was caused by my original import from TMG and I never noticed until I started using V7 and citations. The solution is to go through them and delete the information from the “Text from Sources” tab. Normally for all I need for changes, I use the “find” for the word or phrase I am looking for, produce the list and it’s an easy way to just click on the item in the list, make the change and move to the next. I have gone through all the help files I can find and may be missing something but I cannot see any reports or a way to produce the list of “text from source” and have started going through all the individual citations for all the sources but it is taking a lot of time. Can anyone suggest a quicker fix ?

Census April 7th, 1861 [7]
Title: Census April 7th, 1861
Repository: National Archives of Scotland (Scotlands People)
Number of Citations 42

Source Citation List

Matthew GREENLEES
Census April 7, 1861 in 10 Crawford Street, Glasgow, Scotland Assessment: Primary information
1861, 644/09, 68/12.

Ann MCCORMICK
Census April 7, 1861 in 10 Crawford Street, Glasgow, Scotland Assessment: Primary information
1861, 644/9, 68/121861, 644/9, 68/12.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Text from Source

Post by Jane »

You could try the list all citations for source plugin and then highlight the text from source you you want to delete and press the delete key.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Jane, as my tree will be very basic compared to some I've had no need for plug ins yet so I will have a read at them and give your suggestion a try later on. Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Alternatively, you could download the Citation Details query or if you have multiple citations per fact download the Citation Details – Multiple query. The only drawback is that they will miss any whole record citations.

They list every Fact citation with the Text From Souce and Citation Note among other fields per citation.

You can then hold down the Alt key and click the Text From Source column heading to bring all of them to the top.
It is then easy to select all Text From Source cells and delete them in one go.

BTW: It would be more conventional to put those Census page references in the Where Within Source field instead of the Notes field. A simple plugin could be produced to make that move if you are interested.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Ah....... the citation details query sounds like the one. I'll try the different suggestions over the next couple of days as I am off out now. As far as putting the census pages in the "Where Within Source", that sounds like a good suggestion. As I said before, I've been a bit tied down with the way the import from TMG came in and I have just continued with the format so the results have been not been very elegant, but ok for my needs at present but I would be more than happy with a query to tidy things up. Thanks.
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike / Jane,

I downloaded the Citation Details query and deleted all the offending “Text From Source” items in the one go and everything is far tidier. Thank you both very much as it saved many hours of work making the changes individually.

As far as the Census page references are concerned, I thought, if I can delete items from the Citation Details” report, surely I can just copy the Census reference, put it in the “Where Within Source” column and the convention would be correct. I should have guessed that if it was that easy you would have suggested that instead of a plugin :D So, if the generous offer of a plugin was still available I would happily use it whenever you had time to construct it. Thanks.
Last edited by tatewise on 19 Nov 2021 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed 'query' to 'plugin' in last paragraph
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the point is that a Query does just that ~ performs a read-only query.
It lets you delete data from the Result Set cells but cannot move/add data into cells.

Give me a day or so to create the plugin.

May I assume that each Where With Source field is always empty?
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike,

Correct, they are all empty. I also used the same format for Birth / Marriage / Death in that I would put the page references in the note field in the citation and the print out on the individual narrative looked like this,

Death Statutory Record (Scotland). National Archives of Scotland (Scotlands People).
Richard Ramsay 1996, 605, 266.

After making the change you suggest in the citation it will look like this,

Death Statutory Record (Scotland). Richard Ramsay 1996, 605, 266. National Archives of Scotland (Scotlands People).

As this change just seems (to me) to structure the details as per convention there is absolutely no rush for the query as I know you are always busy helping others with more pressing issues.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Before you use the Plugin see the FHUG Knowledge Base regarding Family Historian Plugins.

Most of what is presented there is relevant except you are downloading the Plugin from here instead of the Plugin Store.

After running the Plugin and reviewing its Result Set, if anything is unsatisfactory then use the Edit > Undo Plugin Updates command before closing FH and all changes will revert to where you started.

Download and install Move all Citation Notes to Where Within Source plugin Version 0.1 Date 20 Nov 2021 by clicking on the ATTACHMENTS blue link below.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike,

Thanks for that, it worked a treat.