* Punctuation in reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
woodr2011
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Punctuation in reports

Post by woodr2011 »

I tend to prefer traditional abbreviations, such as Vt. for Vermont, rather than VT. I am noticing however that the sentence structure of each fact tag includes periods, resulting in an extra period at the end of each sentence, such as:

Julius Smith, son of Asa Smith "2nd" (1786-1846) and Ede Bullard (1786-1826), was born on 10 May 1824 in Lunenburg, Essex, Vt.. He was baptised on 26 May 1824 in Lunenburg, Essex, Vt.. Rev. John Willard p.c. Julius married Phebe Pierce on 8 June 1846 in Lunenburg, Essex, Vt.. He died on 19 October 1863 in Lunenburg, Essex, Vt.. He was buried on 22 October 1863 in Lunenburg Cnr. Cem., Lunenburg, Essex, Vt..

Is there an option to correct this that wouldn't involve editing the sentence structure of every fact?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Punctuation in reports

Post by tatewise »

I don't think there is any simple way to adjust the period at the end of each sentence.

However, I am surprised you are getting the place name repeated in full like that.
The default Report > Options > Main tab setting is with 'Use Short Form for Repeated Place Names' ticked.

So 'Lunenburg, Essex, Vt.' should only appear in full once and subsequently, only 'Lunenburg' should be used.

As you say, the alternative is to edit the Sentence Template of each Fact Type to reverse {date} and {place} so {place} is less likely to be last in the sentence.

You could report the double period problem to CP as it might appear in other scenarios.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
woodr2011
Platinum

Post by woodr2011 »

Thank you, Mike. I have contacted CP with the issue. I would like to see an option in reports to omit or to include that period for this (and other) reasons. Editing all of those fact sentences would be a tedious task. Just as an aside: I deselected the 'Use Short Form for Repeated Place Names' box in order to illustrate the problem. That would minimize it to some extend if selected, as you say.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You could also reorder the sentence templates to show the place and then the date.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, I already said that, so you are repeating me again.
However, that solution is not foolproof as there may be no Date.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry