* How to use Prepared Citation, Automatic Source Citations and DEAs?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
evinther
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

How to use Prepared Citation, Automatic Source Citations and DEAs?

Post by evinther » 22 Oct 2021 07:41

Hello,

The more I work with FH, the more impressed I get by its user interface, workflows, features and flexibility. Custom source templates and Autotext is extremely helpful and time saving for data entry. In an attempt to optimize data entry even further, I’ve been looking at Automatic Source Citations, Prepared Citations and DEAs. However, I do have some problems understanding the use of these features and reading the FH help does clarify matters much for me, I’m sad to say.

I can see that DEA plugins can ensure that required properties are entered, and they can be used to set some default values for properties (I think), but can they offer other benefits, compared to custom source templates and Autotexts?

I don’t really understand the purpose of the Prepared Citation. From the name of the feature, you would think its purpose is to let one fill out the properties for a given source type/template, before deploying them on an actual source, but why not just open the sources property dialog and enter/edit the properties there?

Finally Automatic Source Citations is a bit of a mystery feature to me. In the help is says “When automatic source citations are enabled, the prepared citation will be applied automatically to all new data that you add to your project”. I simply do not understand. The prepared citation differs depending on the source template, does it not? For instance, how can a custom property from a custom template, be added to all data?

Any enlightenment on these features would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Erik

tatewise
Megastar

Re: How to use Prepared Citation, Automatic Source Citations and DEAs?

Post by tatewise » 22 Oct 2021 10:26

Erik, have you reviewed the FHUG Knowledge Base advice Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)?

A Prepared Citation has two components: a Source Record and a Citation with all the property fields filled in.
So adding a Prepared Citation needs no more property entry.
If you only edit a Source Record then the Citation fields may still need completing when you add each Citation.
If several Facts all need the same Citation then you must either Copy & Paste the Citation or repeatedly fill in the same fields.
This distinction between the two techniques is not very great if you are mostly using Method 1 splitter Sources.

When Automatic Source Citations is enabled, then as you add each Fact the Prepared Citation is automatically added.
That is particularly useful when for example capturing Census records where for each Individual every added Census, Birth, Occupation & Name fact will all need the same Citation to be added.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

evinther
Platinum

Post by evinther » 22 Oct 2021 12:45

Thanks for clarifying Mike.

Actually, I don’t have a one-to-many relationship between Source and Citation, but rather a one-to-one relationship, which I accept is contrary to the basic design idea, and common logic for that matter. The disadvantage obviously is, that I need to repeat the source info for every citation, but the sources I typically work with are easily identified by very few details, and I handle these in my source template in the form of ENUM dropdown lists.

The advantages are several as I see it. If I have a source-citation that applies to several different fact, I create it for the first fact, and then site existing source for the rest. If I have a citation that applies to several identical facts (for different individuals), e.g., a census record, I crate the first fact plus the source-citation, and copy/paste the entire fact (including the source-citation).

This approach allows my to include individual name and event year in my “source” title, e.g.
1904, Birth, Person A, Church Record X
1905, Birth, Person B, Church Record X

As apposed to one source named Church Record X, with two (hidden) citations for the two births

Given this, I don’t see I can benefit from using Prepared Citation & Automatic Source Citation.

Regards
Erik

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Oct 2021 15:00

Actually, you do have one-to-many Source Citations, e.g. your example of a Census record.
However, because you are using Method 1, the multiple Citations each hold only the link to the Source.
Nevertheless, there is a separate Citation for each identical Fact.
You can prove that by changing the Source record link in one of them and the others won't change.

It is popular to add Occupation and other facts derived from the Census and copy the same Source Citation from the Census events. In that different fact case, you could use Copy & Paste Citation, which is even quicker than adding existing Source.
That scenario is where Automatic Source Citations is useful, as once setup, you just add the extra facts and the Source Citations are added automatically.

However, with your strategy, I agree the benefit of Prepared Citations & Automatic Source Citations is minimal.
As with many complex software packages, there are alternative ways of achieving the same results.

evinther
Platinum

Post by evinther » 22 Oct 2021 17:01

Mike,

In the different Facts case, you may very well be right, that Copy/Paste of the Citation is quicker then citing an existing source. I had overlooked that feature, and have actually never user it. Now that I'm acustomed to use citing an existing source, and have the Source record id at hand in the Fact’s Source Citation pane, if find this is rather quick too.

In the identical Facts case, you are right that the Source record link can be deleted or changed for one Fact without effecting the others. This points towards separate instances of the Citations. However, if you update something in the Citation, e.g., Text from Source, it is updated for all Facts. This point towards a single shared instance of the Citation. I suppose it’s a matter of viewpoint, and as you said, there are many ways of achieving the same results.

Thanks again for you input – always highly valued.

Regards
Erik

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Oct 2021 17:19

You are making a common mistake regarding Text from Source.
If you check carefully, there are two locations for Text from Source. (That is not new in FH v7.0 it has always been that way.)
One is in the Source Record and another in each of the Citation specific details.

If you update the Source record location then it appears against all Facts.
If you update the Citation specific location then it only affects one Fact.

In the yellow Edit Citation window, the Show option at the top has three settings to focus on one or other or both locations.
The Add Text from Source option below lets you choose the location, but only if both locations are enabled by Show.

evinther
Platinum

Post by evinther » 22 Oct 2021 17:50

I was refring to Source Record:Text from source. I don't use the Citation-specifik Details. All my citation-specifik details goes into Source Record:Text from source. What I realize now is, that in fact i don't use Citations at all, but only Source Records.
Anyway, it still works for me, but thanks for pointing this out to me.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Oct 2021 20:14

Yes, as I said earlier, for Method 1 splitter Source Citations like you use, each Citation usually only holds the Source record link.

I was countering your statement that Text from Source is updated for all Facts and this points towards a single shared instance of the Citation. No, it points towards a single shared Source record. If you were to update the Citation-specific Text From Source then each Citation can have a different text and confirms that there are multiple Citations not a single instance.