* Parallels - Windows 11 - Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
quarlton
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Parallels - Windows 11 - Family Historian

Post by quarlton »

Just a quick heads-up for anyone using Parallels.

I've just upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 following the guidance on the Parallels website.
I used a separate Windows 10 install rather than my main install - just in case :-)

All went according to plan - did have to use the 'AllowUpgrade.reg' feature though.
Note that your existing Windows 10 needs to be 64bit and you need to be running Parallels v17

Installed FH6 for testing purposes (don't want to transfer my v7 licence until I've done more testing).

All in all, everything went very well.

I use Oracle Virtual Box on my MacBook and I'm not sure if that handles Windows 11 yet.
Dave Simpson ~ Boulton, Braham, Carney, Simpson and Jacobs
mjashby
Megastar

Re: Parallels - Windows 11 - Family Historian

Post by mjashby »

Oracle VirtualBox (on Windows/MacOS/Linux):

1. VirtualBox runs with no problem (for me) on Windows 11

2. Version Version 6.1.28 released on 19 October 2021 includes limited support for Windows 11 Virtual Machines; i.e. there is a new Windows 11 Template, but Windows 11 installation/upgrades can only be carried out at present using the well publicised methods for bypassing compatibility checks for any absent hardware and firmware features, such as unsupported CPU (Central Processor Unit) absence of the Secure Boot, TPM 2.0 security feature etc. The Oracle VirtualBox development team are currently working test builds for VirtualBox 7.x which should deliver their "full support solution", including emulation of the required hardware/firmware security features.

For anyone interested:
Some discussion on the VirtualBox 6.1.28 release are here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 1&t=104172
Test Builds for the next release: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

I have been running Beta/Release Preview Versions of Windows 11 (Pro & Home) on a MacBook Pro for a few months as VirtualBox Virtual Machines and haven't had any problems with these, despite the fact that the Mac itself fails a number of the hardware compatibility tests.

Mervyn
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

I am running FH7 on Windows 10 with Parallels and have noticed that opening the "Sources For" as a separate window doesn't seem to work (you can however, have it open in the bottom or on the right side of the property box). I tested this on a Windows laptop and everything worked as expected. Have you noticed similar behavior with Family Historian under Windows 11 on Parallels?

Michael
quarlton
Famous

Post by quarlton »

Hi Michael

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the Citation List Pane (the one with the yellow background) floating.

The following works in FH7 on Windows 10 (I'm still running FH6 on Windows 11)
At the top right of the Properties Box is a Gear Wheel.
Click on that and select Options
You will see 'Preferred Position for Citation List Pane'
For both options (Docked and Floating) choose 'Open in New Window'
Click 'Apply'
Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Dave
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Thank you both - let me provide a bit more detail as my initial post wasn't very clear.

Here's what I'm observing:

Machine 1 - Dell Laptop running Windows 10 and FH7 - the sources for window successfully opens in a new window without issue

Machine 2 - iMac with OS Monterey and running Parallels 17 and Windows 10 and FH7 - the sources for window will not open as a separate window

Perhaps I have some setting in Parallels that can be modified to allow this other window to pop up (although the citation window works). Or maybe I should try to upgrade to Windows 11 and that might solve the problem.

Let me know if you've noticed any similar issues. Thank you!
quarlton
Famous

Post by quarlton »

Hi Michael

Like you I am running Windows 10 under Parallels 17 on my iMac with Monterey.

Did you try the tweaks that I suggested?

Are you running Windows in coherence mode?

Dave
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Hi Dave,

I can get the Citation List Pane to float without issue. I'm referring to the "Sources For" window, which I can position at the bottom or right of the property box, but not open in a new window.

I'm trying to replicate this view:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (167.72 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
which was discussed in this thread:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 00#p113270

If I choose the option to open it in a new window, and click the scroll icon, the top of the property box e. g. Individual: John Smith [1] turns slightly grey but no window opens anywhere. I'm thinking this is a Parallels problem, not a FH7 problem since I don't notice the issue on my other Windows machine. If you're using FH6, things may be different altogether?

It doesn't seem to matter if I try Coherence mode or Full Screen.

Happy New Year!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Michael, Dave seems to be running the same configuration as you.
Have you tried a variety of experiments adjusting the windows?
  • Make sure the main FH window is 'Restored Down' by using the icon in the top right corner, i.e. NOT full screen.
    Ensure it is only about 3/4 of the screen width as in the screenshot.
  • Try the Property Box floating as well as docked (with Preferred Position for Citation List Pane set to Open in New Window for both modes).
  • When I have the Property Box floating then the top border changes colour when the 'Sources For' window is opened.
    i.e. The 'focus' has changed from one window to the other. If you select the floating Property Box does its border colour change back? If so then the floating 'Sources For' window is being opened and set in 'focus' but is 'hiding' somewhere.
  • The yellow 'Sources For' Citation List Pane floating window can be extremely small and even positioned off-screen.
    I have not been able to find a way to reset it to a default size and position, or locate it when off-screen.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
quarlton
Famous

Post by quarlton »

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the image, I can now see what you mean.

1. Open FH with Focus window & Property box showing as per your image.

2. Click the Gear Wheel at top right and select Options
Image 0.jpg
Image 0.jpg (230.86 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

3. Set 'Preferred Position for Citation List Pane' to 'Open in New Window', twice
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (105.89 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
Click Apply, OK

4. Select Fact e.g. Born then click the yellow 'Show Sources' icon
Image 2.jpg
Image 2.jpg (309.63 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
The 'Sources For' window should now open as a Floating Pane.

Appears I can't add any more images, but you should be able to follow my text ;)

5. Now click the yellow box/pencil and the Citation will appear as a Floating Pane

6. You can now position them to suit your needs.

Does this help?
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Thank you both for your help.

When I have the Property Box floating then the top border changes colour when the 'Sources For' window is opened.
i.e. The 'focus' has changed from one window to the other. If you select the floating Property Box does its border colour change back? If so then the floating 'Sources For' window is being opened and set in 'focus' but is 'hiding' somewhere.

It definitely seemed like the "Sources For" window was hiding as you describe, but I was not able to find it. The bad news is I was unable to find a good explanation for what I was observing (I tried all recommended window settings, options, etc.)

The good news is the tried and true IT solution of uninstalling and reinstalling FH7 has solved the issue.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!