* Unicode in Notes? SOLVED!!

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Unicode in Notes? SOLVED!!

Post by fhtess65 »

I'm working on my Polish side and have noticed that in notes, unicode isn't supported properly - the Polish diacritics are mangled :( This is something fundamental for genealogy. Am I missing something?

ETA - I pasted the citation directly from RootsMagic, rather than typing it in...
Attachments
NoSupportforunicodecharacters.png
NoSupportforunicodecharacters.png (53.71 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Last edited by fhtess65 on 26 Sep 2021 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Unicode in Notes?

Post by Jane »

Have you checked your selected font supports them?

Did you copy and paste text or enter it directly?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
sbell95
Famous

Post by sbell95 »

Teresa, have you tried entering the characters from the character map?

How to Enter Accented and Other Special Characters
Last edited by tatewise on 26 Sep 2021 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited link to KB
Sarah Bell – Australia
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Jane,

Thanks for answering.

I pasted directly, so haven't tried entering from the character map...a bit frustrating as it's already typed out (in RootsMagic) and I'm pasting to avoid having to type it all again.

Using the character map works, but it's slow and painful...not really a solution for those of us who have names with diacritics...Is it worth raising the issue with CP?
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Jane wrote: 26 Sep 2021 07:54 Have you checked your selected font supports them?
My selected font is TNR - definitely supports Polish diacritics as I use them in other apps with that font.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

fhtess65 wrote: 26 Sep 2021 17:00 Using the character map works, but it's slow and painful...not really a solution for those of us who have names with diacritics...Is it worth raising the issue with CP?
Teresa,

Have you tried using the Language and Accent Characters dialog by holding down a key which pops up a menu from which you can select the character you want. See How to > Enter Accent Characters in the FH v7 help.

Bill
Last edited by tatewise on 26 Sep 2021 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added URL to Help page
Bill Henshaw
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Bill - no, I hadn't tried that yet...it does seem to work and is definitely preferable to character map, at least for now.

Appreciate your help :)

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Character map is slow and painful.

Pressing and holding the key for a pop-up is better, but I still think I should be able to paste directly into a note and have the unicode characters preserved.

Ah well, first world problems.

Thanks for answering :)

Teresa
sbell95 wrote: 26 Sep 2021 07:55 Teresa, have you tried entering the characters from the character map?

How to Enter Accented and Other Special Characters
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Copying any genuine Unicode accented characters into the FH rich text Note window should work.
Maybe the text you were copying from was not formed with genuine Unicode characters.
Have you tried copying that same text anywhere else such as a word-processor? Does that work correctly or not?
If you enter Polish diacritics into a word-processor, can you copy them into FH rich text Notes?
Please perform experiments such as those and tell us what works and what does not work.
If there really is a problem then CP certainly should be informed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I just tried copying directly from my word processor into a rich text note in FH, and same result. Similarly, I've been copying back and forth between documents in my word processor with no issue.

However, I narrowed it down - it's an issue with Atlantis Word Processor. I opened in Word, then copied and pasted from there, and it was fine. Hmmm...I guess I will report to Atlantis instead.

As always, thanks for the guidance, Mike :)

Teresa
tatewise wrote: 26 Sep 2021 21:29 Copying any genuine Unicode accented characters into the FH rich text Note window should work.
Maybe the text you were copying from was not formed with genuine Unicode characters.
Have you tried copying that same text anywhere else such as a word-processor? Does that work correctly or not?
If you enter Polish diacritics into a word-processor, can you copy them into FH rich text Notes?
Please perform experiments such as those and tell us what works and what does not work.
If there really is a problem then CP certainly should be informed.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Re: Unicode in Notes? SOLVED!!

Post by fhtess65 »

I discovered if I right click and select Paste Unformatted Text it will paste correctly. Interesting...but at least it works now :)

Thanks again, everyone.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford