* Show direct line

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pete56
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Show direct line

Post by pete56 »

Was wondering if there is a way to show the ancestor line from the root person? I see some programs have color coding that allow you to show the root person up in direct line. Hope this makes sense. I am using FH7 windows 10. Just would like to easily follow the line of family.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Show direct line

Post by tatewise »

Are you talking about colour coding the Individual records shown in the Focus Window and the Records Window?
If so, then that is not possible.
It is possible to put some text in the Property Box Caption to show direct ancestors.

The only feature that supports colour coding is in Diagrams, but then a simple Ancestors Diagram shows the direct line.

The Focus Window does indicate direct line ancestors in a subtle way.
If the person in focus is an ancestor of the File Root then one of their children will have a blue down arrow on their left instead of a magnifying glass icon. That blue arrow indicates that child is in the direct line of descendants, so the parents and the child must be direct line ancestors of the File Root.
If you click on the blue down arrows FH will walk you down the descendant direct line to the File Root.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sbell95
Famous

Re: Show direct line

Post by sbell95 »

I agree that colour coding would be a useful feature addition to Family Historian. However, in saying that, since migrating from other programs that do have it, I have not missed having colours as much as I thought I would.

As Mike mentioned, the little blue arrows are the easiest way to see your direct line. I ran into an issue where my husband's direct ancestors were not showing the blue arrow (as we don't yet have a child to become the 'root person'). My solution has been to add a 'birth' relation to his direct line so that it is easy to navigate up and down those lines. An example would be like this (from the sample project) where the letter 'b' is showing. It can be selected on the right-hand side.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-25 173242.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-25 173242.jpg (172.01 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Sarah Bell – Australia