* 'Limited Functionality' GEDCOM in V7?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wellera
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

'Limited Functionality' GEDCOM in V7?

Post by wellera »

Hi

I've just upgraded to V7.
I have always used a stand-alone GEDCOM file rather than a FH project, and have set my GEDCOM as the default startup file.

In V7 I am now seeing "Limited Functionality" for my GEDCOM file
Limited functionality screenshot FH7.JPG
Limited functionality screenshot FH7.JPG (18.48 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
In a separate topic (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18665) back in January some people were seeing "Limited Functionality" temporarily on slow startup. But my system is SSD and I am seeing this status permanently.

Any ideas what this means, why I'm seeing it and what functionality is limited?
Last edited by tatewise on 21 Sep 2021 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced double quotes " with single quotes '
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: "Limited Functionality" GEDCOM in V7?

Post by LornaCraig »

Since projects were first introduced in V4 they have always offered more functionality than standalone gedcoms. This is from the Knowledge Base:
The following features are only supported within Projects:

Family Historian Chart style Diagrams from V4 onwards
Create a Website and Make a Family Tree CD/DVD from V4 onwards
Book style Reports added in V5
Backup/Restore of Medium/Full Backups added in V5
Internet Data Matches added in V6
Some Plugins added in V5 need a Project structure
I don't know if this list has been reviewed since the introduction of V7. If not, there may be other new features which are only supported within projects.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Re: "Limited Functionality" GEDCOM in V7?

Post by Jane »

You also can not use the snapshot options to recover an earlier version in a crisis.

I would always recommend using a Project, your core data is still in gedcom format so there is no real reason to not use a Project set up.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Re: 'Limited Functionality' GEDCOM in V7?

Post by tatewise »

Also, local project Fact Sets are not supported and import Log Files are not preserved.

I will start a thread in the Maintaining the KnowledgeBase forum for V7 updates to the Understanding Projects topic.

BTW:
wellera, please update your FHUG Forum Profile to say Family Historian V7 instead of v6.2.
Click on your username, navigate to Edit Profile, change the Family Historian version, then scroll down to SUBMIT.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wellera
Diamond

Post by wellera »

Thanks Jane & Mike

I'll have a look at importing my standalone GEDCOM into a project.

I have some custom facts and quite a lot of diagram & report customisations. Will these still be there in the new project? If not, what is the best option to maintain these customisations in the new project? (eg the Backup and restore Family Historian Settings Plugin?)

It would be helpful if the FH Help file had something about "Limited Functionality" (ie what it means). I searched for this before I posted, but found nothing.

Regards

Andrew
PS - my profile is now updated to show V7 - thanks Mike for the reminder!
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The customisations you mention are stored at PC level so will be used in the Project.

Normally when you first open a Gedcom file in FH7, a pop up window appears explaining about using Projects and recommending that you create one.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Andrew, I suggest you report that lack of Help advice regarding standalone GEDCOM Limited Functionality to CP via their http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php Support Centre.

Use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to save your customisations in case of a PC/disk crash.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Backup and Recovery for details.

Also, see Upgrading from Version 3 or Earlier which actually applies to a GEDCOM from any version of any product.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wellera
Diamond

Post by wellera »

Thanks Mike & Jane
Much appreciated, as ever!