* Change "Generic Type" for specific source records

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NickiP
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Change "Generic Type" for specific source records

Post by NickiP »

Is there a way to change the generic type for specific source records from say a named list please? I've had a look at change any tag and I don't think that will work because the tag remains the same, just the text within that needs to be changed and it isn't all source records with this particular generic type tag either. However, I'm happy to stand corrected.

I've over a 2.1k source records that need the generic type changed from Parish Registers to Transcript because they are from Family History Society transcripts rather than the original parish registers (I appreciate they were transcribed from the original parish registers but they are still a 3rd party transcript).

Obviously I would much rather not go through the list individually so was wondering if there was any way of doing this automated please?

Thanks

Nicola
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Change "Generic Type" for specific source records

Post by tatewise »

Yes Nicola, use the Search and Replace plugin.

Set the Search Scope to Source Records (SOUR).
Use the Select Records button to choose the subset of Source records that need changing. That can employ a Named List.

On the Extra Filters tab, ensure that only the Type fields for Source records option on the left is ticked.

On the Major Options tab, set Search to Parish Registers and set Replace to Transcript.
The settings on the right should be Plain Text Mode, Case Insensitive, and Whole Words.

Search & Replace does the hard work.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickiP
Famous

Re: Change "Generic Type" for specific source records

Post by NickiP »

Many thanks Mike, that worked a treat. :D