* Gedcom file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
camcron
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Gedcom file

Post by camcron »

Hi

Is it possible to create a Gedcom file for an Ancestor diagram only. If so how do I do it? I want one printed and they re asking for a Gedcom file of the details.

Thanks

Mark
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Gedcom file

Post by Jane »

Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes Mark, as Jane says, see the FHUG Knowledge Base for how to Create an export GEDCOM based on a diagram.

An important factor is who is asking for the GEDCOM and what do they intend to do with it?
If they need to open that GEDCOM with another product, or even a different version of FH, then it needs to be customised to suit that product.
Let us know the product and we can advise whether to use just the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command or the Export Gedcom File plugin, and what settings to choose.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

In case you are not aware of it, it is possble to send a PDF file of the exact chart you want printed, without the need for the printers to use the gedcom file at all. That way you have compete control over the layout and content because you arrange it yourself in FH.

See this page in the Knowledge Base for guidance on how to create the PDF file: Single PDF Page of a Diagram
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I misunderstood the original question.
As Lorna says, create your own diagram with all your own options that let you choose the text in the boxes, the colours, the background, etc, etc... Otherwise, the print company may just give you their plain vanilla version. With your PDF version, almost any print company will be able to reproduce it.

Presumably, the print company you were considering has a copy of FH v7.0 installed?
( It must be FH v7.0 and not an earlier version otherwise it will not understand your GEDCOM file. )
They can work from your full GEDCOM as they only need to know the Root Person Record Id to reproduce the Diagram.
But that will be the standard Diagram. If you want anything else you will need to send a Custom Diagram Type file too.
If you want any headshot or other photos included in each Diagram box, then you must also send all your Media files.
i.e. What they will really need is your whole Project with a Custom Diagram Type file saved in the Public folder.
camcron
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by camcron »

Hi

Many thanks for all the replies to my enquiry about creating a Gedcom file for an ancestor diagram. Sorry for the delay in thanking you. I shall try them all and see what is best.

Mark
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Is the print company you are proposing to use one of those recommended under the Publishers and Printers in the FHUG Knowledge Base > Links > Services & Utilities?

Are you sure exactly what the print company has asked for?
As has been said, they will almost certainly need more than just a GEDCOM file.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

As has been said, they will almost certainly need more than just a GEDCOM file.
Or no GEDCOM file at all - just a single PDF file of the chart, which is much simpler.
Lorna