* GEDCOM spelling

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

GEDCOM spelling

Post by Mark1834 »

I'm making good progress with my FH/RM/Ancestry sync plugin, but it did throw up one irritating detail that I had not noticed up until now.

The correct description of the NATU tag is 'Naturalization' in all versions of GEDCOM. However, FH converts it to the alternative UK English spelling of 'Naturalisation' in its Standard Fact Set.

It's too late to ask CP to change it after all these years, and workarounds are not difficult, so we'll have to just live with it.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Re: GEDCOM spelling

Post by tatewise »

What is even more mysterious is that CP have used 'z' in most other cases, such as Customize Property Box, Focus Window > Customize View, Generic Source Formats window > Customize option, etc...

I guess the workaround you refer to is to use Tools > Fact Types... and Edit the definition to use naturalized instead of naturalised everywhere. Except that the Name field cannot be edited.
However, you can edit the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Standard\Standard.fhf file and change the Name there so the next time FH opens even that uses Naturalized.
No harm befalls any GEDCOM files by making those changes!

I don't see why CP could not change it as the impact would be minimal.
It might affect some custom Query or Plugin that tests for the Fact Name 'Naturalisation' but that is unlikely!
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It's also odd that the spelling is unaffected by changing Tools > Preferences > International > Display Language (menus, labels, etc) from English - United Kingdon to English - United States.
Lorna
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Curious... I’ll have a play and raise it with CP. They might as well know, even if all I get back is “noted”. I’ll need to put a workaround in the plugin code rather than rely on users changing the fact definition, but it’s only an extra line or two.
Mark Draper
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mark1834 wrote: 13 Sep 2021 09:43 The correct description of the NATU tag is 'Naturalization' in all versions of GEDCOM. However, FH converts it to the alternative UK English spelling of 'Naturalisation' in its Standard Fact Set.
I was just curious. Where are you referring to. In my list of Fact Types, Naturalization appears as follows:

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

If this is where you were referring to, maybe it is keying off the Windows language setting?

Bill
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

That is weird! Mine is definitely with an s, and I've checked several old backup folders as well (V6, V7 and V7 beta). They are all s :?...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.18 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Mark Draper
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Mine is also shown as Naturalisation, so I think the presentation is probably driven by the Windows Language & Keyboard settings. BillH will presumably have US settings.

Not sure, but I suspect the US 'z' variant hasn't been accepted into GB English in the same way that some other words have, e.g. all UK Government Documentation on the subject uses the traditional Naturalisation spelling. GEDCOM, of course, defaults to US English.

Mervyn
Last edited by mjashby on 13 Sep 2021 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Mine is with an "s" as well - I have my language on my Win10 Pro laptop set to US...interesting... I deplore having to us US, but for some things it's just easier. As a Canadian with an English mum and Polish dad, my preference has always been for the UK spelling, which is fairly standard here in Canada.

T
Attachments
FactTypes_Sept2021.png
FactTypes_Sept2021.png (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, can you check the definition. Is it possible you have edited the Label, which is what is shown in the Fact Types screen of your screenshot, unless you tick Show Hidden, whereupon it shows both Label and Name.

Mark, as a matter of interest, why is your plugin looking up the Name of the fact rather than its Tag which is always NATU. Avoid looking up the Label as the user can change that to anything.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

RM does not create custom GEDCOM tags for user-defined Facts in the same way that FH does, either in its GEDCOM file or its internal database structure, so you have to use the name or abbreviation (= FH label) for retrieval. Including the name in an RM retrieval is straight forward, but not selecting on the name, due to their proprietary structure for all name fields. In other words, "SELECT Name,...." in the SQL is fine, but "WHERE Name = " is not.

Ideally, I wanted the same routine for both built-in and custom events, but I will have to accept a bit more complexity for added resilience.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, understood, but use the FH Name, which cannot be easily modified by the user.
It is the Name that is reliably associated with the Tag.

Don't use the FH Label, which can be easily edited by the user in the Fact Types definition.
Therefore, it may bear no relation to FH GEDCOM Tag for either standard or custom facts.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

tatewise wrote: 13 Sep 2021 17:06 Bill, can you check the definition. Is it possible you have edited the Label, which is what is shown in the Fact Types screen of your screenshot, unless you tick Show Hidden, whereupon it shows both Label and Name.
You are right. The name is Naturalisation, but the label is Naturalization. I must have changed this a long time ago as I don't remember having done so.

Bill