* File Merge Dialog Box: Save the Changes, How

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mxy
Gold
Family Historian: V7

File Merge Dialog Box: Save the Changes, How

Post by Mxy »

Version 7.0.7. Level of expertise: Beginner. I searched the knowledge base and found nothing. It is possible I am not using the proper keywords.

I am trying to merge 2 files. I don't like the results so I keep trying. Each time I redo I start over in the Merge File dialog box. The granularity of this dialog box is fantastic. The downside is it takes me hours to walk through every option for every person just to try and fail again. Is there anyway to save the settings in this dialog box for the next try?

Being new to the application it could be there is an easier way of tackling this issue which I am unaware of. I have considered retyping everything but not seriously. File 1 contains a lot of names which are probably correct but does have formatting errors and is unsourced. File 2 contains considerably fewer names which are formatted correctly...well at least consistently and are sourced, cited and verified.

I have tried using each file as my current file. I cannot determine which is the best way but even that would be helped by a correct merge. Which brings me back to the original problem of being able to save the Merge File dialog box settings.

Is there a way to work 1 record at a time? By doing this I could limit my changes and errors which would make it easier to verify results. As I became more comfortable with the results I could do more records.

Perhaps I could create a 3rd gedcom from file 1 which contains the records matching the names in file 2. I have seen some information about splitting records/files. Perhaps I should delve into that a bit more. File 1 does contain records from 2 other gedcoms which I have imported into it. Unfortunately in the learning process I did not save a gedcom or project of just the info I entered.

Regardless of the method I use to get there at some point I am going to have to merge them back into what I am calling my master file. It would seem all paths lead back to...is there a way to save the file merge dialog box settings?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: File Merge Dialog Box: Save the Changes, How

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

See the FHUG Knowledge base advice Merge/Compare File.

Make sure you have backups of your Projects/GEDCOM so you can recover if anything goes wrong.

The dialogue status cannot be saved but you can work on merging a subset of data at a time.

One technique is to split the 'imported' GEDCOM into sub-trees using the Split Tree Helper on multiple copies.
Then completely merge one sub-tree at a time.

Alternatively, using the full 'imported' GEDCOM, merge some of the records.
Then select all the unmerged records and select Discard below. Repeat that on each of the record tabs.
Finally, complete the merge.

When you repeat the process with the full 'imported' GEDCOM, the records already merged before will automatically sync and need no merging, so you can proceed to a new set of records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

If I discard a merge will that delete the Current Record?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Depends on which record.
If you select a Current Record in the left-hand pane and choose Discard then it gets Deleted from the current Project.
If you select an Imported Record in the right-hand pane and choose Discard then it is simply not imported and the GEDCOM being imported is not affected.
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

Sorry Mike, I should have been more clear. I am trying to discard multiple actions so the far left column. If I discard multiple actions does it delete Current Records?

I would like to discard multiple Imported Records but it only seems to allow the selection of 1 record at a time. I say "seems" because I leave open the possibility I haven't figured out how to do it.

I do understand discarding a Current Record deletes it. I am trying to avoid that.

Thanks in advance.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The important thing to remember is that records or fields to be deleted/discarded are struck through.
The Action for Current Records will be * Delete * and that must be avoided.
The Action for Imported Records will be Discard and will ignore those items.

You can only select multiple Actions for whole records and must use the normal Windows method.
Hold down the Shft key to select a number of consecutive Actions. (Can only be used once.)
Hold down the Ctrl key to add or remove an individual Action. (Can be used many times.)

Tip: To bring all similar Actions together click the Action column heading.

If you are struggling with this technique then try the Split Tree Helper alternative method.
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

Thanks for trying Mike. We don't seem to be communicating and I don't know how to make the question any clearer. I have plenty of backups so I gave it shot. Turns out you can't discard multiple actions without first separating the 2 records. Back to my original problem.

It wasn't a waste of time though. I learned what causes the merge problems and also learned how to fix them. So, I fixed as many problems as I could in the files I was merging prior to the merge, accepted what FH wanted to merge and hand jammed the few fixes that remained.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, if records have been Matched by FH then they cannot be included in a multiple Action selection.
You would have to choose Do not match any records initially, Discard unwanted records, and manually Match the rest.

I'm glad it was not a waste of time and you have found a workable solution.
I think it does often need several cycles through the process to learn how to achieve success.