* Reports from a named list

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
kfunk_ia
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Reports from a named list

Post by kfunk_ia »

So now that I managed to master a query to pull all persons after 1900 without an obituary, I save this to a named list named 'No Obituary'. I now want to print this as a report. I assumed, incorrectly, that I could choose to do a Custom Report and populate it from my 'No Obituary' list.

I did read the KB but the custom report bit tells me absolutely nothing that seems to be useful. It indicates that I need to use an existing report type and then save it as a custom report. I simply have 4 columns of data that I wish to print. Column headers would be nice, but there is no apparent existing report that would seem to fit this.

What am I missing, or is there a better way to print out the named list, that I have overlooked?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Reports from a named list

Post by tatewise »

There is Publish > Miscellaneous Reports > List Report but that only lists the records and not any custom columns.
The solution is to create a custom Query with the necessary Columns, plus Rows tab filter using =IsInList(%INDI%,"...")
Then the Query menu bar top right has many ways of saving or printing the Result Set.

This is the typical way of reporting data that is not handled by built-in reports and displays.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
kfunk_ia
Diamond

Post by kfunk_ia »

Ok, so it would appear that I am doing extra work by creating a named list then using that list in a query to print the results and I should just be printing directly after running the custom query since I really don't need to save my results after printing. That may, or may not, make life easier.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as long as your 'Obituary' Query has the desired Column values you can save or print its Result Set directly.

Why do you say it may, or may not, make life easier?
kfunk_ia
Diamond

Post by kfunk_ia »

Maybe easier because I skip a whole step that I expected to do, maybe not easier because I am somewhat attached to my groups in RM7 and using then to do various custom reports. This method also seems to be a reason why named lists are so overlooked (something I read in the KB). It also seems to be an argument that there really is no such thing as a custom report in fH in the sense that many of use from other software are used to. It would seem that the so called custom reports is nothing more than a way to save settings for one of the standard reports that you have tweeked to look the way you want it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As far as I can tell, RM Groups are much the same as FH Named Lists.
In FH you can select a Named List of records you want to be included in a Report, a Query, etc.
What can you do in RM with Groups that you cannot do in FH with Named Lists?

It is true that Custom Report Types are simply a way of saving preset Options for standard Reports.

However, it is possible for Plugins to create simple 'reports' and new in FH V7 are Report Plugins that create bespoke reports.
Many of the Publish > Miscellaneous Reports are implemented with Report Plugins.
Report Plugins can be saved in the Plugin Store for others to use.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Going back to the very first post, why not simply print the query results from the Query window by pressing the print key?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, sorry, but if you read the later postings that is the agreed solution.