* Unwanted text in a Narrative Report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Rhoda
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Unwanted text in a Narrative Report

Post by Rhoda »

My question has to do with unwanted text which has appeared at the end of a narrative report before the "Sources" section.
The text comprises several pages of random notes and memos which I made many, many months ago during my research. I was using V6 at the time. I now cannot remember how I managed to insert this into the report and have no idea how to get rid of it. I am now using V7.
My narrative report consists of facts and their contingent notes which were compiled under the "Facts" tab in the Property Box. The unwanted text is not associated with any of this information.
I would be very grateful if you could suggest where this text may be lurking and how I could delete it.
Apologies for being so stupid.
Rhoda
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Unwanted text in a Narrative Report

Post by LornaCraig »

Hi Rhoda,
You might have added these as notes linked to the individual record as a whole rather than to particular facts. If so they will be visible on the Notes tab of the individual's Property box with a blue dot beside them. In the Report Options, Main tab, you probably have Record Notes ticked. Do they go away if you untick that option?

If you don't need the notes any more at all, you can delete them from the Notes tab of the individuals' Property box.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To find where such 'rogue' text exists in your data, first make a note of an unusual section of that text from the Report.
Then use Edit > Find... to locate where that unusual text exists in your data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rhoda
Gold

Post by Rhoda »

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.
Unfortunately, unless I am being extremely stupid, neither suggestion has solved the problem.
1. As Lorna suggested I did indeed find a blue dot on the notes page as shown in the attachment.

I have unticked the "Record Notes" option in the Report Options Main tab and refreshed the report but this has not removed the text.
2. I have also used the Edit > Find menu to locate a piece of unique text but that did not come up with any matches.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
Attachments
Screenshot of Notes page for an Individual.docx
(185.77 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You don't need to put screenshots in a Word document to attach them.
Just save the screenshot as an image (JPG or PNG) file and attach that directly to your posting.
e.g.
Screenshot of Notes page for an Individual
Screenshot of Notes page for an Individual
LocalNote.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
The blue bullet Local Note that you found has <No text> so it cannot be that.

Please post a screenshot of the unwanted Report text so we have a better understanding of what it might be.

Have you tried unticking Spouse Family Notes and Spouse Record Notes?
If that removes the text then you need to look in the Family record or the Spouse record.

I this an Individual Narrative report or the Ancestors or Descendants versions?
Rhoda
Gold

Post by Rhoda »

This is an Individual Narrative Report.
I have tried unticking Spouse Family Notes and Spouse Record notes without avail.
Screenshot 1 shows you which boxes remain ticked.
Screenshot 2 is an extract of the rogue text. It begins with the heading "James married Catherine C (Kate) McGuire ..."
It appears to be extracts from an Individual Summary of Catherine C McGuire which I must have somehow copied and pasted into her husband's Individual Summary. I just don't know how I managed it nor where I put it!
Attachments
Extract of Individual Narrative Report showing Rogue text.png
Extract of Individual Narrative Report showing Rogue text.png (186.16 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
FH  Report Options  Main tab.png
FH Report Options Main tab.png (70.63 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Rhoda,

I'm not sure, but It looks like there may be two spaces between "James" and "married". When you did your search did you specify both spaces?

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you are saying it is the text in italics under Rhoda Ann WISHART the daughter of Kate and James?
That text is a Note against her 1879 Birth event.

So open the Property Box for Rhoda and in the Facts tab select her Birth event.
That 'rogue' text should be in the Note box at the bottom and can be edited as you like.

I am surprised that when you searched for text such as 'The source for this is the 1881 census' or 'On the other hand:' that nothing was found?
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

The stuff in italics under (roughly) "Catherine and James had the following children" is there because you have "Inc. Children" and "Child Events / Attributes" ticked.

Is that what we're talking about?
Adrian
Rhoda
Gold

Post by Rhoda »

Thank you so much everyone who has given me advice.
I have now unticked the boxes suggested by Adrian and that has removed all the rogue text except the heading, "James married Catherine ..." which can be seen in the screenshot.
If I could get rid of that it would be great.
Attachments
FH Individual Narrative Report showing Rogue heading.png
FH Individual Narrative Report showing Rogue heading.png (70.8 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Untick Auto-Generate Sentences if Missing Facts.
Alternatively, you can change the wording by setting the marriage Status on the Spouse section of the Main tab of either James' or Catherine's Property Box.
Rhoda
Gold

Post by Rhoda »

Thank you all so much.
The problem has been resolved!
I'm such an IT novice that I'm always reluctant to change settings but this experience has given me confidence to to be a little bolder.
Hopefully I wont have to bother you with such trivia again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is no trouble and is not trivia if unfamiliar with all the FH features.

However, having changed the default Report Options I suggest you use Save Report As > Custom Report Type... and give it a meaningful name that can be retrieved from Publish > Custom Reports when you need to produce similar reports in future.

Then open the standard Publish > Narrative Report and use Report > Options > Restore Defaults so it becomes a well behaved standard reference report.

By saving custom settings like that and keeping the standard report with defaults you are unlikely to upset things.