* Closing panes in V7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Closing panes in V7

Post by E Wilcock »

I have for the first time been using fh7 for entering longer lists of people.
To be exact about 145 deaths.
So back to the issue of sources in fh7.
I notice that where a source is cited for an event, the source pane shows only its number.
Is there any way of setting this pane so the title of the source also appears? Just to remind me?
If I right click to set colums, there are no options.

If one clicks on the source ref number to see the source title, the person property box vanishes and one has to open it up again. Is there any way round this?
I am not sure I am doing this right.
I also notice that if one uses the Person note which I do rather extensively, one has to keep shutting down note panes too. So fh7 forces one constantly to close panes.

I need to go on using fh as I query my data a lot (Thanks to Mike) and really like the queries.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Closing panes in V7

Post by tatewise »

In the Sources pane the grey column headings should say Citation (Text: ... ) and Source Rec.
The lefthand column usually shows Source Title and the righthand column shows Source Rec link ID.
You may need to drag the dividing line in the grey column headings to the right to see the Source Title.
i.e. The same way you can drag the column heading dividers in the Records Window or Query Result Sets.

To return to a previous Property Box click the large white left arrow Go Back button.

You can Apply changes in the Note edit window but leave it open for the next new Death Event to use.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike.
Very helpful.
The dragging the column in the source pane does not work for me. It springs back. But using the side bar of the source pane and dragging it to the left widened that column. This is what I want.

Is there a way of remembering and saving the width of these panes in horizontal lay out? I couldnt find one.
I am using multiple projects so will need to adjust them all.
Thank you for the info that the note pane can stay open and be reused for the current person (like the empty source pane).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After a little experimentation, I found that dragging the column divider springs back if the Source pane is very narrow.

So, yes, making the Source pane wider would solve the problem.

FH does automatically remember the size and position of the Source pane globally.
So it should be applied to all Projects on the same PC indefinitely unless you change it.
Therefore, now it has been corrected, it should stay that way for all Projects from now on.

Is it possible that you may have reduced the width of that Source pane accidentally?
That would then be remembered for all Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, I have just opened my son in law's tree and am so relieved to see the source pane there, with the source titles displayed, just as they used to be.
I think I caused the problem by squashing fh up to one side of my large computer screen so as to view the images of ancestry documents on the left handside of the screen. That makes sense when one is entering a lot of data from old handwritten sources.
Thank you for your patience with me and for your help.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I have noticed this is an issue with FH (also with RootsMagic) - it doesn't play nicely with tiled windows. I generally work only on my laptop, rather than having it attached to the second monitor, so tile my windows.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz