* Stopping the display of text from source

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dahliarose
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Stopping the display of text from source

Post by dahliarose »

I'm trying to produce a narrative report. I use the generic source system and for many sources (eg, GRO indexes, FreeBMD) I include the text from source for my own benefit. However, I don't want this information to appear in my reports because it means that the source (eg, GRO indexes) is repeated multiple times whereas I just want it to be cited once. In the narrative reports I always used to be able to hide the text from source but I can no longer find a way to stop this information from appearing in the reports and producing multiple citations for the same source. I'm using FH version 7.0.7. This is what my options look like for the narrative reports with the boxes for text from source unticked. I'm attaching a screenshot showing my current settings for the narrative reports (descendants by generation). What do I need to change?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-26 002642.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-26 002642.jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
BillH
Megastar

Re: Stopping the display of text from source

Post by BillH »

I have those options unchecked as well. When I run a Descendants by Generation report, I don't get any Text from Source fields in the report (for either the Source or the Citation). If I select either of those two options, they do appear in the report. I am also on 7.0.7.

I wonder if it might help to see an example of a source with something in the Text from Source field and how it shows in the report.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Bill says, with those settings there should be no Text From Source included.
However, for generic Sources, there are now extra options in FH v7.
Check Tools > Preferences > Sources and click the Generic Source Formats... button.
By default, both Text from Souce options should not be ticked, but maybe you have ticked them at some point.

Regarding multiple Citations, since you have ticked Combine Identical Citations for Same Source, only one of each Citation version should be reported. If you are getting more then they are not exactly identical in some way. Until FH v7.0.7 there were some scenarios where even identical Citations did produce multiple entries in Reports. It should not happen now.

I suggest the following settings:
Keep Tools > Preferences > Sources > Generic Source Formats with Text from Source options unticked.
Then in the Report > Options > Sources tab, use the Append from Source/Citation ~ Text from Source tick options to determine what is included in Reports, and thus can be saved as a Custom Report Type.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dahliarose
Gold

Post by dahliarose »

Many thanks. I got there in the end. The setting in the preferences also had to be changed to stop the text from source appearing. I found that I could access the submenu from the sources tab by right-clicking on the page. This is what the successful settings now look like.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-26 150814.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-26 150814.jpg (206.63 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Last edited by dahliarose on 26 Jul 2021 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm glad that worked.
Can you explain exactly what page you are right-clicking to open the Generic Source Formats dialogue?
That is a technique that I had not discovered.
dahliarose
Gold

Post by dahliarose »

I right clicked in the empty space to the right of my list of sources. That brought up a submenu showing new sources, columns and options. Clicking options brought up the Preferences window. I then went to sources and then clicked on generic source formats.

I could have got there by going to Tools/Preferences instead.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! OK, that technique opens the Tools > Preferences > Records Window options from where you can go to the Sources tab and then Generic Source Formats dialogue.
As you say, it is probably just as quick to go via Tools > Preferences.