* Scandinavian letter capitalization

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RickJ
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Scandinavian letter capitalization

Post by RickJ »

The software is unable to automatically capitalize Æ Å or Ø. I don't remember having this issue in the previous version, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by RickJ on 19 Jul 2021 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Sacndinavian letter capitalization

Post by BillH »

Your profile info on the right says you are still using version 6. Is that true or have you updated to version 7? If you have updated you should edit the version in the profile.

I am able to produce capital accent characters just fine in version 7. For me it works exactly as it did in version 6.

Are you using the Popup Accent List? if you are, then you should be able to hold down the shift key and then push and hold the letter associated with the accent character you want and then a pop-up window appears from which you can then select the character.

For example, I have it set as follows for shift-O:

image2.jpg
image2.jpg (6.02 KiB) Viewed 5283 times

From there I can select whichever character I want. For example if I select number 4, I get the character Ø. To modify which characters are shown on the pop-up, use the gear icon on the right.

What do you get when you try to do this? Does the wrong character get selected? Does the pop-up window not appear?

Bill
RickJ
Gold

Re: Sacndinavian letter capitalization

Post by RickJ »

BillH wrote: 19 Jul 2021 03:06 Bill
Hi Bill,
Thank you for your answer. I am indeed using the latest version. I can see now that I've done a poor job of explaining the issue. The software does support Æ Ø and Å, but these letters are not automatically capitalized with the rest of the surname. It's a cosmetic issue with the default setup in which surnames are displayed in capital letters.
Jørgen Søndergård is displayed as Jørgen SøNDERGåRD.
I would have to type in SØndergÅrd to get a uniform style.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Scandinavian letter capitalization

Post by tatewise »

Rick, I am running FH v7.0.7 and cannot reproduce your problem. Do you have FH v7.0.7 installed?
I've copied Jørgen Søndergård into a Name field and FH always displays the upper case surname SØNDERGÅRD correctly.

Does your problem apply everywhere a surname should be capitalised?
e.g. Caption at top of Property Box, all Reports, all Diagrams especially the standard versions with standard Text Schemes.
OR
Is the problem only in one customised Diagram?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RickJ
Gold

Post by RickJ »

I do have version 7.0.7 installed. It appears only to apply to the Diagram. The caption at the top of the Property Box is fully in upper case. I tried restoring the installation defaults on the diagram, but it didn't fix the issue.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

RickJ wrote: 19 Jul 2021 17:21... It appears only to apply to the Diagram. The caption at the top of the Property Box is fully in upper case. I tried restoring the installation defaults on the diagram, but it didn't fix the issue.
Just throwing an idea in here - which typefaces are used for the Property Box caption and for the Diagram? Could one typeface have gone wonky? (My installation also works OK once I had found the right accent set to use).
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As well as resetting the Diagram options have you also reset the Text Scheme?
i.e. Diagram > Options > Text tab, then Edit Text Scheme... and Restore Defaults button.

In particular, taking Adrian's point, what was the Initial Font set at the top?
Although, I have not found any font that does not handle accented upper case letters.

Anyway, it does not seem to be a fundamental FH problem so does not need a Wish List request.
I am tempted to move this to the FH General Usage forum.
RickJ
Gold

Post by RickJ »

Yes, my bad for picking this sub. I should have started the thread in General Usage. Sorry for the trouble.
Restoring the Text Scheme doesn't fix the issue.
Changing the font doesn't work either. The initial font was Arial. I tried a few different ones, all of which support accented letters. When I use uppercase Æ Ø and Å in the surname they show up properly.
Last edited by tatewise on 20 Jul 2021 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed redundant quote
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this thread to the FH General Usage forum until the cause of the symptoms is identified.
It is not something that anybody else has reported.

Since resetting everything does not seem to work, the next thing to try is to re-install FH v7.0.7 again from the FH website download page https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7. You don't need to uninstall anything. Just install over the existing program but with FH itself not running. It is advisable to right-click on the install_fh7.0.7.0.exe downloaded file and choose the Run as administrator option even if you are running in an Administrator account.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It might be worth creating a small gedcom file with a couple records which exhibit the symptom so the characters being used can be checked.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Following up on that theme, have you tried copy & paste of Jørgen Søndergård from here into a Name field?
That ensures the UTF-8 accented characters are entirely valid. Do they still misbehave when capitalized in Diagrams?

Instead of creating a new small Project, you could just change the Name of somebody in the FH Sample Project.

Since the Tahoma font works OK in the Property Box (and Times New Roman works OK in Reports?), have you tried either of those in the Diagram Text Scheme Font setting?

BTW: Have you customised any of the FH Font settings elsewhere, such as in Tools > Preferences > Display and Property Box?
RickJ
Gold

Post by RickJ »

Changing the font to Tahoma made no difference. I haven't customized the FH Font settings, and clicking Restore to Default didn't do anything. Copying and pasting the name off the website didn't work either.

Here's a sample GEDCOM: https://filebin.net/1kgyt1ihkyvlwp3m

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Unfortunately the file you have linked does not have any individual records in it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, the GEDCOM you supplied contains no records at all!
But I suspect it would simply show that our systems are OK and only your system has a problem.

BTW: You can simply attach a GEDCOM file via the ATTACHMENTS tab below the Reply message box.

One thing to check when a Diagram is displayed is File > Print Setup...
What Printer Name is chosen? Try using Family Historian PDF or Microsoft Print to PDF and click OK.
Does that make any difference? If so then it may be a printer driver problem.

In the same vein, what is displayed if you use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) or JPEG File (.jpg)?

If not fixed, then re-install FH v7.0.7 again from the FH website download page https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7.
You don't need to uninstall anything. Just install over the existing program but with FH itself not running. It is advisable to right-click on the install_fh7.0.7.0.exe downloaded file and choose the Run as administrator option even if you are running in an Administrator account.

If that does not fix it then you will have to call on Calico Pie for assistance via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Rick, in an earlier post you said "It appears only to apply to the Diagram. The caption at the top of the Property Box is fully in upper case". However in the screenshots in your more recent post the problem also appears in the heading of the Property Box and in the Focus window. It is only in the Records windw that the surname is correctly capitalised. Are you sure the problem previously applied only to diagrams?
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Well spotted Lorna.
Tools > Preferences > Display tab, Default Font applies to the Records Window.
Tools > Preferences > Focus Window tab, Fonts... applies to Focus Window.
Tools > Preferences > Property Box tab, Fonts Title applies to the Caption.
RickJ
Gold

Post by RickJ »

LornaCraig wrote: 21 Jul 2021 15:21 Are you sure the problem previously applied only to diagrams?
No, I misunderstood Mike's question.
tatewise wrote: 21 Jul 2021 14:22 If that does not fix it then you will have to call on Calico Pie for assistance via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.
Thank you for trying.