* Add Cause of Death to Pedigree Diagram Boxes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Add Cause of Death to Pedigree Diagram Boxes

Post by BobWard »

I am trying to find a way to add the Cause of death item to the pedigree diagram boxes.

I don't find Cause of death as an option in any of the Text Schemes under Diagram Options>Text. Even when editing the text schemes, I do not find it as an item to select. However, I can select the Birth, Marr, Death + Notes text scheme which does include cause of death, but then it brings in all the lengthy notes as well.

So, is there an easy way to add just the Cause of death to the Pedigree diagram boxes without having to include all the notes as well?
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Add Cause of Death to Pedigree Diagram Boxes

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, it's %INDI.DEAT[1].CAUS%

When using a Pedigree chart you need to select the Custom option for Contents, then Edit.
Lorna
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Thanks Lorna. That expression worked, but it lists the cause of death twice. See attached screenshot.

My edited template is: =ExistsText(%INDI.DEAT[1+]%,"Died:") %INDI.DEAT[1+].DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.DEAT[1+].PLAC:TIDY%. Cause: %INDI.DEAT.CAUS%
Cause of Death.jpg
Cause of Death.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect you need to add the [1+] looping index to the CAUS component.
e.g.
=ExistsText(%INDI.DEAT[1+]%,"Died:") %INDI.DEAT[1+].DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.DEAT[1+].PLAC:TIDY%. Cause: %INDI.DEAT[1+].CAUS%

Either that or remove the [1+] index from them all. The looping index is only needed if you have multiple Death facts.
It is crucial that the index is the same for every similar data ref in one Template.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I suspect you need to add the [1+] looping index to the CAUS component.
Yep, that fixed the problem. Lorna had that in her response and I somehow managed to exclude it when I made the edit to my template.

Thanks,
Bob
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To be pedantic, Lorna only had [1] in her response, which would also have failed in the same way.

In both FH v6.2 and FH v7.0, in the Edit Text Scheme dialogue, whenever a Fact Item is added there are separate tick options for Date, Place, Age and also Cause.

Unfortunately, that level of options is not available in a Pedigree Chart.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry