* FH 7.0.7 and Web 2 installer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

FH 7.0.7 and Web 2 installer

Post by Mark1834 »

I upgraded to FH 7.0.7 last night using my normal method of downloading the installation file, then running as Administrator.

The upgrade ran exactly as all previous in-situ upgrades, with just a dialogue box at the start asking me to confirm the upgrade to the new version. Jane’s announcement implied that the installation would somehow be different as it uses the Web 2 installer (whatever that is).

Everything seems to work ok, including the new integrated browser, so did I misunderstand the warning? Do you get a different installation process if you go via the FH menu (which I never do)?
Mark Draper
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: FH 7.0.7 and Web 2 installer

Post by NickWalker »

I ran FH last night and it told me the new version was available so I just let it go through the process of upgrading itself and it seemed to work as expected for me.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Upgrading from 7.0.6 to 7.0.7 using the internal FH "Check for Updates" menu link appears to be a seamless single action, but when I installed 7.0.6 (the first version to use the new web engine) from the external file link that CP sent me, there were separate prompts for the installation of FH and for the installation of the MS Webview engine. I suspect that may well be the same for 7.0.7 if you download the installer from the link on CP's website and later run it on your PC, but possibly updating via the "Check for Updates" link from within FH circumvents the additional prompt, or CP have integrated the two installers for 7.0.7?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Microsoft WebView2 install is for the new Web Search Window use of Microsoft Edge instead of Internet Explorer.
When I installed FH v7.0.7 in Windows 10 it didn't ask to install WebView2 presumably as it is already in Windows 10.
I'm not sure what happens in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Ah, I'm running 8.1 and got the prompt on my initial install of 7.0.6, but updated to 7.0.7 from the FH internal menu and I wasn't asked again.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I think it just depends whether you already have WebView2 on your computer, but running Windows 10 doesn't neceassarily mean you've got it.

When I installed 7.0.7 on the desktop PC there was no prompt about WebView2 and the installation went smoothly. But when I installed 7.0.7 on my laptop I got the prompt saying it needed WebView2 which was not currently on the computer so I had to download and install it.

Both computers are running Windows 10, and in both cases I used the downloaded installation file rather than the FH 'check for updates' route.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

As 7.0.6 was a minority release. I thought it was worth mentioning the Webview 2, as it is something the majority of people installing would not have seen and for people who don't want to use MS browsers they do now have the option to not install or use it at all.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Thanks, Jane. I think it would have been clearer if CP had included a comment along the lines of “FH 7.0.7 utilities Web View 2 for its updated browser, and this will be installed during the upgrade if not already on your PC” as part of the version notes, but we got there in the end by pooling our observations. Good example of how the forum should work.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, as mentioned in other posts in this thread the FH v7.0.7 install does not always offer to install or not install WebView2.
I have never knowingly installed WebView2 in Windows 10 and yet FH v7.0.7 did not mention WebView2.
I agree with Mark that the FH v7.0.7 installation should make it crystal clear what is being installed without any need for FHUG warnings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The screens provided by FH are very clear during the install, I only put the warning as many users will not actually read the messages, but just press the next buttons and take the defaults.

If you don't think the warning is needed I can take it down.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Just as an FYI. I am on the latest build of Windows 10 and I updated from 7.0.5 to 7.0.7 and it did prompt to install WebView2.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I know it’s an old issue, but I still find it disappointing that CP don’t make these announcements themselves, rather than Jane do it on their behalf (do you have inside knowledge of the new version, or just monitor their website?).

I remember Simon apologising for poor communication in the build up to FH7 release, but we are judged on what we do, not what we say. Feedback on support requests seems to have improved markedly, but while we don’t expect a Bruce Buzbee level of user engagement, their total abstinence from FHUG is striking.

Hopefully, the new Notice Board is a step in the right direction.
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

their total abstinence from FHUG is striking.
Not quite total... By coincidence Simon did make a post today in this topic v7.0.7 and Notice Board (19546)
Lorna
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I stand corrected - as you say, coincidentally, the annual posting came today... :)
Mark Draper