* v7.0.7 and Notice Board

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paultt
Famous
Family Historian: V7

v7.0.7 and Notice Board

Post by paultt »

Does anyone else get this result? I started up FH, selected my project to open, then clicked Internet, Open Web Search Window.
I normally operate with FH in the right hand half of my screen, and other apps/browser in left hand half.
I have logged it as a call #690546.
FH Notice board.jpg
FH Notice board.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: v7.0.7 and Notice Board

Post by Jane »

That looks exactly as I would expect for a very narrow window. If you want to use an external browser, just check you have the correct settings in Tools>Preferences and don't bother with the Web window, or turn off your properties box.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

Jane, I did not expect to see any property box shown at all, as the Internet-> Open Web Search Window was the first and only thing I did. I know I have not selected any Individual record, so I did not expect to have to turn it off . One would have thought that Open Web Search Window as an initial action in FH would have done just that! If I click say the Query Window button, or Map->View Map Window, I am not 'told' I don't have a record selected, so why should this?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It depends on your settings in Tools>Preferences>Workspaces. On the last line, for Web Search Window, set the Default Property Box Action when Workspace is Opened to None or Close it.
Lorna
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

>> ... set the Default Property Box Action when Workspace is Opened to None or Close it.

The default and recommended setting for the Web Search Window, for "Default Property Box Action", is "Open It". The reason for this is that a common use of the Web Search window is with hints (Automatic Internet Data Matching). If you click on a hint for person X in the Focus Window, you will probably want the record for X to be displayed in the Property Box so that you can easily drag-and-drop (or copy-and-paste) the information from the web page into the appropriate fields in X's record.
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

Yep, that fixed it! It still surprises me how many setting flags, etc that there are that I have not even explored in all my time of using FH. Never thought to look there, as I had not used the Web Search feature at all before, probably because it failed using IE.
Thanks