* Family Groups by ancestor lines

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
HanniganResearch
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Family Groups by ancestor lines

Post by HanniganResearch »

I am not really sure what I want here - although I know what I have seen in RM and Legacy that works.

Basically, I want to separate my different branches of my tree to make it possible to view the full tree at the same time and be able to visually identify the various branches. Some software do this by colors, some by tags, some by groups/branches, etc.

For example, for my personal file - I want to be able to visually identify my mother's direct ancestors and my father's direct ancestors. Then identify my four grandparent's direct ancestors (father's direct and mother's direct). I don't want to go on indefinitely, but have yet to determine exactly what I need to do.

My project is a universal tree with all family surnames in a single tree instead of having multiple trees. My downfall was trying to maintain multiple trees and keep information updated in the various trees.

Is something like this idea possible in FH7?

Thank you.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Family Groups by ancestor lines

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I wonder if a Fan Chart might do what you need? There are other techniques, but have a look at that first.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think a fan chart will show the 'full tree' as requested because it only shows direct line ancestors.

The first idea that springs to mind will work for any tree Diagram including partial branches, etc, etc.
In concept, you use the =IsAncestorOf() function as a Box Condition to set the colour of different ancestors.
You only need four conditions and colours to identify the ancestors of your four grandparents.
The two colours used for your paternal grandparents also identify your father's ancestors, and similarly for your mother.

So in the Diagram > Options > Boxes tab use << Add Condition > Expression and enter:
=IsAncestorOf( %INDI%, Record( 34, "I" ) ) where 34 is the Record Id of your paternal grandfather and "I" is the capital letter I for Individual inside string quotes.
Then in the Box Features chose a Box Fill colour (or any other feature you prefer).

Repeat that for the Record id and colour desired of each grandparent.

Save that Diagram customisation as a Custom Diagram Type.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Good tip, thank you. I already colour code my diagrams by gender (blue for boys, pink for girls :)), but have added an additional condition to give a distinctive box style for the direct line by using =IsAncestorOf(%INDI%,FileRoot()).
Mark Draper