* Exclude from Reports flag.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Exclude from Reports flag.

Post by AndyC »

Where are the 'Exclude from Reports' and 'Exclude from Diagrams' flags when relating to an image referenced in an individual or source record stored in the GED file? I would have thought they are stored in the source or individual structure but I cannot find them.
I ask because I wish to globally modify some of them.
AndyC
Gold

Re: Exclude from Reports flag.

Post by AndyC »

It OK, I've found where it is. No need to answer.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Andy, bear in mind that those flags do more than their name implies.

e.g. Exclude from Diagrams also excludes from the Focus Window.

There is little point in applying Exclude from Diagrams to other than the highest Preference image(s) for an Individual as usually only one of those is shown in Diagrams, unless to exclude from the Focus Window.
I don't understand why that flag exists for Source record Media or non-image Media that never appear in Diagrams.

Exclude from Reports is more widely applicable to any Reports wherever they are used.

The only way to adjust those flags globally is by using a Plugin (or editing the GEDCOM file ~ not recommended).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AndyC
Gold

Post by AndyC »

Thanks Mike.
My usage of these flags has been somewhat inconsistent and I am going to tidy them all up.
I had hoped to just to use text replacement in Notepad++, but the way it is implemented stops me doing that as it is impossible to easily discriminate between Individual and Source usage of the image in the file. This discrimination must be done programatically. Also if neither exclusion flag has been selected the relevant field just doesn't appear in the GED file, so I cannot do a text replacement for that.
I will try and write my own plugin for this unless anyone is aware of a plugin that already exists that will do this for me (or the best one to start with to modify).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct that attempting to edit those flags in the FH v6.2.7 GEDCOM 5.5 format is a major challenge.
It would be easier in FH v7.0 GEDCOM 5.5.1 format where the flags are now attached to where the image is used within the Individual record or Source record. But as you say, if the flag is not set then there is no tag to edit.

Please explain what rules you will be applying to achieve consistent settings of the flags, then I might be able to advise on the best approach. From where I stand it seems unlikely that any particular image would require the same flag settings everywhere it is used, especially where Face/Detail Frames are involved to display just a part of the image in different contexts.
AndyC
Gold

Post by AndyC »

I hadn't thought too much about the rules it was the inconsistency that bothered me.
I had thought of _EXCL ALL where the image is used in an INDI and _EXCL DGM where the image is used in a SOUR (even though as you say the diagram exclusion is irrelevant here).

I have never bothered previously producing reports in the past ( I just look at my tree from within FH) and thought it would be best to have these flags consistent for any reports I might produce in the future.

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you think through the rules before attempting any automated solution.
Otherwise, designing an automated solution will become almost impossible.

As you say, there is no point setting _EXCL DGM in a SOUR linked image as they never appear in Diagrams.

If you set _EXCL ALL for every image used in an INDI then you will never get any images appearing in the Focus Window, Diagrams, or Reports (except perhaps Source images in the Sources section).

BTW: Don't forget about images used in FAM records.

So identify a few images you believe have inconsistent flags and apply whatever rules you think you need for their flags.
Then check how they affect the display of those images in the Focus Window, Diagrams, and Reports.
Then adjust the rules until you achieve the desired effect. However, in general, most of the flags should not need to be set.