* Fact Date > Before Date

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Fact Date > Before Date

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum
Is it possible to have the Fact Event Date = Before (bef) to be more precise?
I would in some instances like to set the Birth Event Date equal to be Before the Baptism Date. But when doing this the Before date only displays the Year concerned and not the explicit date entered. See attached

Thank You
Attachments
Capture.png
Capture.png (48.22 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Fact Date > Before Date

Post by Mark1834 »

Unfortunately not, that is hard coded by CP and not accessible to the user. It think that one is worth raising with CP, as what is shown in the summary table is not the same as what you entered. It is a different date period.

There are other areas where FH doesn't do a very good job of reflecting approximate dates accurately. For example, if you were certain Charles was born in the spring of 1846, but just didn't know exactly when and entered something like "abt May 1846", the LifeDates() function used in the Records Window column and presumably in Individual Summary Reports, will always put c. in front of the year, even if the year is certain and it is only the detailed date that is not. It might not be that easy to give a simple option that covers all possibilities (does the uncertainty span a year boundary or not?), but what it does now does not report the data accurately.
Mark Draper
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mark
Thanks for your reply and additional info, I sort of guessed not but always best to ask. I'll raise this with CP.

Cheers
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

It may be that it was simply felt to be a space issue - those of you with wide screens may not notice it, but I certainly will automatically look down to the full details for each fact.
Adrian
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Yes possibly Adrian, but it would be useful if it could be seen immediatley without having to click the fact. I have now reported the question to CP.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think I can explain what is happening.

The full precise Date in any Fact is always present in the underlying data.

It is only the way it is displayed that is sometimes curtailed.

In the Facts tab, the Date: field in the lower pane uses Date:Compact format.
Some Period or Range dates would be far too long to display in Compact format in the Facts tab upper pane.
So in the upper pane, where the Date column is of limited width it uses Date:Abbrev format.
See https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... rmats.html for all the Date formats.

In some workspaces you can choose the Date format such as in the Diagram > Options > Text tab, the Edit Text Scheme dialogue has a Date Format: setting.

So there is no loss of data just a display effect.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike - I'd not twigged that the upperpane is a specific format. So, based on that link, something like "Between 12 June 1908 and 14 December 1919" would get rendered (in the upper pane only) as "Btw 1908 and 1919". Which is a good idea as I suspect that even those with a Mega-wide-screen might have issues getting "Between 12 June 1908 and 14 December 1919" into the date column - certainly David's screen wouldn't take it.

Might well be possible to allow a user to change the format for the upper pane for themselves so that the Mega-wide-screen folks can use that real estate, but it would have to be for all their facts or nothing.
Adrian
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thanks Mike for digging deeper into this. I can see certain Date formats could prove to be a challenge on some displays. I do use 2 x wide screens linked to my laptop so i could accomodate the change if enabled. I'll post back here when I hear from CP.

Thanks everyone
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

CP have added this request to the new features list. So now have to wait and be patient.

Thanks all.