* proliferation of facts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
santatraugott
Gold
Family Historian: V7

proliferation of facts

Post by santatraugott »

I appreciate your patience with my questions.

I imported my FTM file into FH v7. I am going through checking sources, to see what's missing and needs editing, etc. What I notice is that the facts section is filled with facts about near relatives. For example, for my grandmother, the death of her parents, birth and death of siblings, birth and death of her children, are all listed for her, in a timeline. And not only that, but several different versions of each fact are given: e.g., slightly different death dates and places. It looks like it came from several different public trees on Ancestry but I haven't had this tree synced to Ancestry since 2016. At any rate, I know that I didn't do this.

Is Family Historian somehow cumulating information from everyone that my grandmother is directly related to, and adding them in as facts? If so, is there a box I should have checked or unchecked to avoid this?

I really dislike this cumulation of facts, and it's going to be a lot of work to clean up, but maybe there is something positive to be said of it that I'm not thinking of.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: proliferation of facts

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It sounds as if you're seeing Timleine facts: read https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/worki ... -heading-9 to understand what they are. But that doesn't explain seeing slightly different versions of e.g. the same birth fact. However FH never adds its own facts; only user action -- directly, via importing, using Ancestral Sources or a plugin -- can do that. Check yourTimeline facts settings and then we might see what else is going on.

(Some people like to see significant events affecting an individual in their timeline -- e.g. the death of a spouse -- to get a clearer picture of how their life looked. Others see it as clutter).

What colour dots are shown against the unwanted facts -- that will help us understand further what it is you're seeing -- post a screenshot?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

In the property box, click on the cog wheel at the bottom and select "Timeline facts". There you can decide which facts you would like displayed for family members.

You can also toggle the display of them on and off using the icon just to the left of the cog wheel icon (the calendar with the green + sign).

Bill
Bill Henshaw
santatraugott
Gold

Post by santatraugott »

Thank you both. I was able to find timeline facts, and uncheck all the boxes.

I am definitely in the camp that less is more, with respect to timeline facts. I could see it if I wanted to write a short biography of an individual, but to the extent that I want to do that, I tend to use the notes.

As for where the slightly different versions came from: I think that I must have entered them, but probably the birth information for my grandmother, looks slightly different on her birth certificate than it does on a source associated with my father? And somehow both sources wind up as "facts" on my grandmother's record.

It looks to me like each and every source for each and every individual has to be reviewed and edited. That will probably keep me out of trouble for a while.

There's always more to learn.. . thanks for pointing me to it.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

santatraugott wrote: 11 Jun 2021 16:46 I am definitely in the camp that less is more, with respect to timeline facts. I could see it if I wanted to write a short biography of an individual, but to the extent that I want to do that, I tend to use the notes.
I'm in the same camp.
As for where the slightly different versions came from: I think that I must have entered them, but probably the birth information for my grandmother, looks slightly different on her birth certificate than it does on a source associated with my father? And somehow both sources wind up as "facts" on my grandmother's record.

It looks to me like each and every source for each and every individual has to be reviewed and edited. That will probably keep me out of trouble for a while.
It sounds as if the sources are probably OK but you've created a new e.g. birth fact when you've discovered a new source, rather than cite the source for an existing fact (and perhaps amend the details of that existing fact if you trust the new source more).

If different versions of the facts have the same Date and PLace, this plugin might help.