* FH7 running on Crossover - no paragaphs in notes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
plantheaven
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH7 running on Crossover - no paragaphs in notes

Post by plantheaven »

Me again,

Running FH7.0.6 on Crossover 20.0.4 and I cannot make a new line or paragraph in notes, it just reverts to solid block of text. Cannot use table as it will not resize and I know this is a feature I will not be able to use but did expect the basic wordprocessing package to work and making new lines and paragraphs has always worked in FH6. Any suggestions (clean ones please ;) )
Jacqui
mjashby
Megastar

Re: FH7 running on Crossover - no paragaphs in notes

Post by mjashby »

Jacqui,

I can explain what is happening, but unfortunately don't know of any solution. From your description, what I expect you are seeing in your Crossover app is a "corrupted" display of a correctly formatted text note. See my example below of exactly the same sample note as it displays in Crossover and also how it displays in a native Windows installation without any alteration to that data.

What I haven't been able to work out is why this happens, as Rich Text, including tables work and display correctly when using various Windows Word Processors via Crossover. So it is not that Crossover/Wine apps can't correctly display normally word processed RTF files, including tables; and am left presuming that Calico Pie have used some "alternative" method of creating/displaying Rich Text in FH7 that Crossover (Wine) can't/doesn't interpret correctly.

All I can think of, for now, is testing the true output by previewing text notes as they would appear if printed.

Mervyn

Text Note as displayed FH7 via Crossover.
Text Note as displayed FH7 via Crossover.
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 20.25.35.jpg (153.62 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
Text Note as displayed in FH7 on Windows
Text Note as displayed in FH7 on Windows
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 20.27.20.jpg (194.62 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for the explanation and I viewed the report but still no paragraphs. Really upset about this as I only upgraded to use the word processing package which is completely useless. I checked and double checked the non-working parts of the programme before I upgraded and even waited until the reports glitch had been fixed. Now I have to decide whether or not to use my Carbon Copy clone which I did before upgrading to revert back to FH6. What a waste of money!

Do you know if Calico Pie are aware of this problem and if not how can we bring it to their attention?
Jacqui
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jacqui, Calico Pie's problem reporting page is at http://support.calico-pie.com/open.php
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Both the earlier screenshots are showing the Note record Property Box.
What happens if you open either the plain text or the rich text editor windows as explained below:

1) Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys while you double-left-click the Note text pane.
That should open a plain text editor resizable window with a Rich Text check box lower left and OK & Cancel buttons.

2) Click the [...] button in the bar on the right of the Note text pane.
That should open the rich text editor resizable window with the word-processing toolbar across the top.
It has a Close button lower right which changes to OK, Apply & Cancel after editing some text.

Do either of those handle newlines any better?

Does the same problem afflict all other long text fields such as fact local Note and Text From Source fields?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have just had a play with this and this is what I have found.

If you follow MT's advice below in #1 (use CMD CTRL on a Mac NOT CTRL ALT) carriage returns are honoured and retained on closing the note. The carriage returns are preserved providing that you open the note in the same way.

If however you then open that note as per #2 all the carriage returns are lost on opening the note whether you save it or not.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Thank you for your suggestions.

Using the ctrl and cmd alt, double left clicking on note: still no new line - block text
Using ctrl and cmd, double left clicking on note: still no new line - block text

Apologies 'tatewise' but cannot see the [...] button you are referring to (would attach screenshot but not sure how).

This problem is affecting notes and text from source.
(Also, when I close the report window I loose the focus window and records window boxes in the far left hand column)

I did contact Calico Pie with the following reply:

'Getting FH7 to work well on the Mac is a high priority for us, but I'm afraid I cannot give you a date for that. I'm sorry not to be more helpful. '

At the moment I am considering having to use OpenOffice and type up notes in that and then attaching as a pdf. that is not ideal, the alternative is to use my Carbon Copy Clone and go back to FH6. If anyone has any further suggestions I am more than willing to try them

Thanks again.
Jacqui
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

plantheaven wrote: 10 Jun 2021 07:31
Using the ctrl and cmd alt, double left clicking on note: still no new line - block text
You need to edit the note in this mode and save it. Providing you open it the same way again then any cr's that you have placed in the note will be retained.
Apologies 'tatewise' but cannot see the [...] button you are referring to (would attach screenshot but not sure how).
This is immediately to the right of the single line note text box in the focus window, depending on your screen size it may appear as 3 vertical dots.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Yes! By typing the note and then using the ctrl and cmd buttons and reopening the note the new lines appear and by ticking the rich text box it then appears in the note. Brilliant. Thank you.

With regard to the [...] or ... I am afraid I must be blind because I have looked everywhere and cannot see either just wish I could attach a screenshot for you to point it out to me.

At least I can get back to writing notes and books again. Thanks.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jacqui, to post a screenshot follow the advice in the Forum Usage Tips under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.
( I wish I had a £ for every time that link has been given :D )
BTW: A FHUG Knowledge Base search for post screenshot or forum attachment soon gets there.

The 3 dot button appears to the right of many FH fields to open another window or provide data entry assistance.
Sometimes the cursor must hover over the field to reveal the button as highlighted below.

3-dot-button.png
3-dot-button.png (16.51 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of how to post an image and posting an image of what you are trying to show me.
I don't get a labelled text box, it's either 'note' or the title of the fact I am adding the note to and there are no 3 dots in the bar when I open the note box using the ctrl and cmd buttons. If I just open the note box there is no bar on the side. The only place I have found the 3 dots in the bar is the text from source box in the source pane. When I click on those three dots I get the standard note box so have to use the ctrl and cmd buttons in the same way to get the new lines.
Whilst Valkrider has me able to write notes/books with separate lines I am wondering if I have a download problem as those of you who have replied don't seem to have the same problems. Perhaps I should delete my current download and reload to see if it makes any difference?
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The 3 dot button is on the original text field where you use CMD CTRL & double-click, not the window that opens afterwards.

However, the 3 dot button opens the rich text editor window with word-processing toolbar and I think all the Mac users have confirmed that does not play well on Mac.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Sorry Mike but I do not get the 3 dots on ANY window except the note in the citation specific details in the sources. Even the ones prior to opening with ctrl and cmd.
Jacqui
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jacqui

This is what I get
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 17.04.09.png
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 17.04.09.png (27.64 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

:oops: OK, you are right Valkrider - definitely helped to give me a large size image! Think I might need new glasses :lol:

So, there is ONE other note that has the 3 dots. Really looking forward now to being able to utilise more of the word processing just hope they don't take too long to give us more updates.
Thanks for everything, you have been a great help.
Jacqui