* Find My Past support ending

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Find My Past support ending

Post by Jessie 888 »

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I did check for the answer in the forum and Knowledge Base first.

For months now I've been getting a message on Family Historian (when I click on the hints) that the Find My Past support will be ending and I should download Microsoft Edge. I've been ignoring it because I know I already have and use Microsoft Edge! This week the message has changed to a definite date. My plan was to ignore it and see what happens after the support goes but I'm getting worried now and wonder if there's anything else I can do to prepare for it? There must be some setting somewhere that I need to change but I can't find it!
Attachments
FH temp query.jpg
FH temp query.jpg (218.26 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Find My Past support ending

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that has been discussed here by several users and applies to both FindMyPast and MyHeritage.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base Internet Data Matches advice in the last paragraph of Record Matching that explains the problem and the solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

I have recently been sent a new FH build in response to a bug I submitted, and it includes an optional new internal browser engine which seems to be working well and is noticeably faster, so I would assume it will be rolled out in the next incremental update.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I've also received that new release to test -- the internal browser is effectively Edge rather than IE, and I think it's such a huge improvement that I'm unlikely to go back to using an external browser. Not sure when the new release will be rolled out, but I suspect it will be a few weeks yet.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you all.

I've done the workaround as explained in the Knowledge Base. When I click on the hint now it opens in a completely new window ... not right next to the property box as it did before so it's difficult to compare them side by side. Have I done something wrong?
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No, you haven't done anything wrong -- the workaround opens a browser window outside FH. I imagine it should only be a few weeks until the next release, so you could revert to the internal browser if you're willing to put up with the warnings.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 05 Jun 2021 17:19 No, you haven't done anything wrong -- the workaround opens a browser window outside FH. I imagine it should only be a few weeks until the next release, so you could revert to the internal browser if you're willing ti out up with the warnings.
Brilliant, thank you ... that's exactly what I'll do!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jessie, your Profile on the right of your posting says you are using FH V6.2 so you need to upgrade to FH V7.0 to benefit from that change to the internal Web Browser Window.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sorry, Jessie -- Mike's right. I'd overlooked the version you were using because somebody else posted about the new release of 7. My apologies.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

tatewise wrote: 05 Jun 2021 19:58 Jessie, your Profile on the right of your posting says you are using FH V6.2 so you need to upgrade to FH V7.0 to benefit from that change to the internal Web Browser Window.
Thank you, Mike. I wasn't sure that I wanted to upgrade ... just because it might be too hard to get my head around any changes but I think I'll bite the bullet and give it a go!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jessie, just in case you find FH v7.0 is too hard to get your head around any changes then make sure you have full backups.
Otherwise, returning to FH v6.2.7 will be a nightmare of a task.

Ensure you have a Full Backup of each of your Projects.
Run the 'Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings' plugin to preserve all your FH v6.2.7 customisations.

In FH v7.0 please check the Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7 and the FHUG Knowledge Base articles.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jessie, you can read the FH7 help online before you upgrade.

One set of changes people have problems with is the introduction of Source Templates. Read Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders); there are documented ways of staying with Generic (old style) Templates and achieving (mostly) the same experience.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you Mike and Helen. I might leave it for two months until I feel brainier and braver. When I do, I'll come back to this thread and follow your advice!