* Generic Sources

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
marilyn57
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Generic Sources

Post by marilyn57 »

I have just installed version 7 of Family Historian, I love this but at the moment I cant understand how to source my information. It says cite existing source, add new source from template, and new generic source. This was quite straight forward in the last version, but now I cannot work out how to add a new source. Please can anyone advise on the way to go about this as I am totally confused. I have no trouble citing an existing source, but adding a new one baffles me. How do I go about this. I also dont understand the little screen that comes on when I actually source some information, at the moment I just click on the cross to get rid of it. :?
Any help would be really appreciated as I dont want to add information to my tree and not put a new source.
Many thanks
Marilyn
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Generic Sources

Post by tatewise »

Marilyn, you are not alone in being confused by the new features but there is help at hand.

Firstly, in FH v7 see the Help > Family Historian Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7 that has much advice for users upgrading from an earlier version, not just for Sources but other features too. Please read and digest.

In the FHUG Knowledge Base see Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders) that describes the features and options in FH v7 and how they relate to FH v6.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Marilyn, join the club, Mike's links are excellent, and there have been a good few posts already. If you want to carry on as before, also similar to Ancestral Sources, even if you eventually take advantage of the new features, CHOOSE GENERIC.

Take a look at these
Source citation display. (19128)
Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window (19000)
Source / Citation (19090)
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Many thanks to both of you but I cannot get my head around this new way of doing sources. I have read what you said but its like a foreign language to me. I just want to add a new source California U.S. Marriage Indexas a new source to a marriage on my tree. Please can anyone just talk me through step by step how to do this and what to click on. I just dont understand it at all and am beginning to wish I still had version 6.

Please help, it would be appreciated.
Thanks, Marilyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Do you want to continue using generic Sources compatible with what you were used to with FH v6?

Have you a 'lumped' Marriage Index Source for all marriages?
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Yes I want to continue using it as I did before. Even then though I didnt understand Title/ Short Title etc. When I press on new generic source it just comes up with new source created, click undo. I have a long list of sources names untitled and I cant delete them. It was so easy before just added a source I already had or ticked the box for a new one.

I have just found this marriage and it is the first time I have used this particular source, which is why I needed to make a new one.

Sorry for being so dumb :roll:
Marilyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok Marilyn, so let's first delete the unwanted untitled Source records.
I imagine you are looking in the Records Window on the Sources tab and those with the highest Record Id are called [untitled] and have just 1 or possibly 0 Citations.
Assuming there are only a few, then select each one in turn and use the keyboard Delete key or Edit > X Delete command.

In future, if you make any similar mistake use the Edit > Undo command before closing FH.

To create a new Source Citation similar to the way you did in FH v6 follows these steps that are not so different.
  1. Ensure the yellow Source Citation List window is displayed by using the Show Sources button as in FH v 6.
  2. Select the Fact that needs the new Source Citation, which is the Californian Marriage in this case.
  3. Use the Add Citation button and choose Add New Generic Source which is the FH v6 compatible option.
  4. The popup reminder explains how to 'Undo' that new Source Citation if not wanted.
  5. New in FH v7 is the floating yellow Citation window that is an improvement over FH v6.
  6. There you fill in the new details (Title, Type, Author, etc.) for the Marriage Index Source record in the top section.
  7. Below that you fill in the Citation specific details for the Marriage itself in this case.
  8. On the Text from Source, Notes & Media tabs you can add to either the Source or the Citation as required.
Job done. You can leave both the Source Citation List and the Citation window open for future use.
Notice that you have not needed to visit the Source record itself as you did in FH v6.
However, in the Records Window on the Sources tab, you can find it just as before.
Select that new Source record and use View > Citations to Source Record... and any Citations are listed. That is new.

Now if you need to add a later Citation for that same Source record, then at step 3. above use the Add Citation button but choose Cite Existing Source... and select that Marriage Index Source record similar to FH v6.
The Citation window is shown as above, but with the Source details complete, and you just add the Citation specifics.
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Mike, thanks so much for this step by step guide. I dont know how I did it but I managed to get a new source up. The only thing I am still struggling with is deleting all the "untitled" in the sources box, where it lists about 10 or so untitled with 0 or 1 citations. If I select the first one it wont delete it with the delete key on the keyboard. I would also like to do this for any other sources that I have not used etc., there are a few of these. Last little bit of help needed from you Mike if possible. I really appreciate your help.
Thank you so much
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Why won't a Source record let you delete it with the Delete key on the keyboard?
What happens?
You cannot delete via the Add Citation > Cite Existing Source... list of Source Records. I never said you could.

Follow these steps:
  1. Open the Records Window by clicking the 2nd icon in the vertical Navigation Bar on the left,
    or use the View > More Workspace Windows > Records Window command.
  2. Open its Sources tab to list all Source Records.
  3. Select just one [untitled] source record ~ do NOT select multiple records ~ earlier I said "select each one in turn".
  4. Hit the Delete key or use the Edit > X Delete command.
  5. Repeat for each Source Record to be deleted.
    Beware that if the Citations count is greater than 0 then one or more Citations will also be deleted.
If you have a lot of records to delete then you must use a different technique:
  1. Open the Records Window and its Sources tab (or whatever type of record to be deleted).
  2. Select all the records to be deleted, open the Named Lists Pane and Add the selected records to an empty list.
  3. Right-click the list name in the top pane and choose Delete Listed Records...
The above methods are described in the FHUG Knowledge Base Delete One or Many Records.
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Thank you very much for your help Mike, it is very much appreciated. All done now :)