* merging two projects

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
santatraugott
Gold
Family Historian: V7

merging two projects

Post by santatraugott »

I have been working on a project in v.6 (now updated to v.7). I have worked in the past on Ancestry on another project and I am going to export that file to a Gedcom and import it into Family Historian. I understand that I need to create another project into which the Gedcom will be imported.

In my One-Name Study, I am working with several different lines, headed by unrelated individuals of the same surname. It is my goal to find the person who would enable me to connect two different lines, that is, the person who is the common ancestor. I think I can figure out how to merge the two lines within one project, once the common ancestor is identified, but I want to be sure that I can merge two Projects, i.e., the Family Historian One-Name Study and my imported file which is my own family line.

What I really would like to do is to import the gedcom of my own tree from Ancestry, directly into my One-Name Project. As I understand it, that is not possible. But the next best thing would be import my Ancestry tree into a new project, but then as a second step, merge that project with the existing One-Name Study Project. Is it possible to do this?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: merging two projects

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Yes, that is possible and the process is quite well documented.

There are two main steps, but several minor steps in each, as summarised below...

1) Migrate the Ancestry Family Tree to FH.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Importing to Family Historian especially Import from Ancestry website.
There it explains that Media images do not export along with the GEDCOM from Ancestry.
You need to use either Family Tree Maker or RootsMagic TreeShare to download the Media images.

After importing to an FH Project the data will need cleaning up to make it fully FH compatible.
In particular, UDF need reviewing using the advice in Handling Uncategorised Data Fields.
There may also be facts that need adjusting, and so on...

2) Merge Your Family Tree into One-Name Study
See FHUG Knowledge Base Merge/Compare File.
You may need to rehearse the Merge a few times until it produces satisfactory results.
However, in your case, as your Family Tree is distinct from the One-Name Study it should be simpler than most.

If you have any questions about any of the steps then please ask again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
santatraugott
Gold

Re: merging two projects

Post by santatraugott »

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. I do have some studying to do but am glad to know that it can be done.

Fortunately, I have done very little with media so far. OTOH, all of my families with the same surname seem to have named their sons in similar patterns, so that might present some minor hitches.