* FH V7 project on a different drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
clionamhic
Silver
Family Historian: V7

FH V7 project on a different drive

Post by clionamhic »

I have installed FH7 on the C drive on a Windows 10 PC. I have always held my FH Projects in a Dropbox folder so as to be able to access it from my laptop too, my problem is that Dropbox is on the D drive on this PC whereas FH has installed on C Drive. I did not think this would be a problem but FH7 won't open the project on the D drive though it will open the sample project on the C drive.
I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions as to how to overcome this problem. Thanks in advance.
BillH
Megastar

Re: FH V7 project on a different drive

Post by BillH »

When you say it won't open, what happens. Are you getting an error message? What symptoms are you experiencing when it fails to open?

Bill
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

As Bill says, we need more information to help, but I can confirm that exact setup works perfectly on my PC.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FH always installs on the C: drive just like every other application program you install and is perfectly normal.
What you are talking about is your Project database, which can be stored anywhere on your PC.
When FH is installed it often upsets the Location and Default Project settings by resetting them to default values.

In the File > Project Window... set the Location: to specify your D: drive Dropbox folder where your Project is saved.
e.g. Use More Tasks... > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and browse to the D: drive Dropbox folder that holds your Project. You would have done that in FH v6.2 when establishing the shared Dropbox folder.

Perhaps you mean your Project does not open by default. In that case, select your Project name in the Project Window and use More Tasks... > Set as Default Project to put a green tick against your Project name.

After the adjustments above, I suggest you delete the default ...\Family Historian Projects\ folder from your C: drive to avoid any future confusion.

WARNING:
If you are sharing your Project with your laptop via Dropbox it is critical that you update the laptop to FH v7.0 too.
It is impossible for FH v6.2 and FH v7.0 to share the same Project database and the Project data will get corrupted.
You have been warned.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
clionamhic
Silver

Post by clionamhic »

Thanks for your replies Bill, Helen and Mike. I set the location as you described Mike and still had the same problem, but following a restart it is now opening as expected. The error message read: 'Unable to open file D:\Dropbox...etc. An unknown error has occurred'
Thanks again for your help.
Cliona