* Add word to dictionary?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Add word to dictionary?

Post by BillH »

Is there an easy way to add a word to the dictionary in Version 7? I tried to right click the word when it was underlined thinking there would be an option to add it to the dictionary, but there wasn't.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Henshaw
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Add word to dictionary?

Post by jbtapscott »

Using the "Ignore Spelling" option adds the word to the custom dictionary - per the Help:

"Ignore Spelling

This menu command appears if you click on a word that is flagged as misspelled. Taking this option will ensure that the spellchecker no longer treats this word as misspelled.

You can view and edit the list of words that you have flagged to be ignored by the spellchecker (i.e. not treated as misspelled) by clicking on Options on the Cog menu. Words that you have flagged to be ignored are stored in the file listed against 'Custom Dictionary' (normally just called 'Custom'). Click the Edit button to the right of this field, to view the contents of this file. There should be one word per line. You can edit the file if you wish, to add or delete words; but always ensure that there is one word per line. Blank lines are not allowed."
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Brent,

Thanks for the info. I looked at that in the help, but stopped after it said the word was ignored. I should have kept reading. :oops:

I thought that option meant it would only be ignored in that note or whatever was being edited. I believe this is how Word and most programs work... when ignored the word is not added to the dictionary. It would be a lot clearer if the option was "add to dictionary" instead of "ignore spelling". Oh well, now that I know.

Thanks!
Bill
Bill Henshaw
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Yes, I would agree Bill - "Add to Dictionary" would be self explanatory and more in line with other applications I have used!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree