* Refresh books causing FH7 to close

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Treesearcher2
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Refresh books causing FH7 to close

Post by Treesearcher2 »

I have just upgraded to v7 and have found that refreshing my books causes FH7 to shut down completely after a short while generating the book. The book contains several saved charts as well as reports. Is this a known problem or should I report it to CP?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Refresh books causing FH7 to close

Post by LornaCraig »

There must have been some known issues with refreshing books which contain charts, because the notes on the latest minor upgrade include the following paragraph:
When you view or refresh a book, you can now choose either a ‘Standard Build’ or ‘Full Rebuild’. The latter only will completely refresh any charts in the book. If not refreshed, charts will display as they did when last rebuilt. Refreshing a book that contains charts can be slow. Where that is the case, users are recommended to use a standard build most of the time, and only do a ‘Full Rebuild’ from time-to-time, as needed, to keep charts up-to-date. If auto-refresh is enabled, it will do a standard build. For books that do not contain charts, there is no difference between a standard build and a full rebuild.
So if you don't need to update the charts try doing a 'Standard Build'. However if the full build continues to cause problems you should probably report it to Calico Pie.

A full list of the changes can be found at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/v7-updates
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just double-check that Help > About Family Historian says Version 7.0.5 and not any earlier version.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thank you both. I am using 7.0.5 and both types of rebuilds are causing the shut down. A couple of my saved charts are pictures, rotated to fit the page and it may be these that are causing the problem.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You should report this to Calico Pie, making it clear that even the 'Standard build' is causing the shut down.
Lorna
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thank you, I will report this shortly
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

I have reported this to CP. They requested that I send them a copy of my entire tree which I was not happy to do - too much personal info to release. I have got around the problem by deleting all v6 charts and recreating them in v7. I realise that this is just a workaround but it will do me for now.
Thanks for your advice.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I'm glad you have found a work around, but it is still puzzling that the 'standard' build was causing problems, because that doesn't involve the charts.
Lorna
redvanman
Diamond

Post by redvanman »

They requested that I send them a copy of my entire tree which I was not happy to do
I recently reported a different intermittent problem where FH was shutting down unexpectedly. CP asked me to attempt to reproduce the problem on the sample project, which I was able to do. Could you do the same?

Alyn
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

As my problem seems to be because of v6 charts and I have deleted all my v6 charts this would be difficult but I will see what I can do.