* 2 Parts - include Custom Source Template footnote in fact definition sentence template

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Kylie
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

2 Parts - include Custom Source Template footnote in fact definition sentence template

Post by Kylie »

PART 1
This is what my footnote for Passenger Custom Source Template looks like.
{To} {Type}: {Name},<was {Age} when they> <travelled <aboard the {Ship}> <from {From}> <in {Date}>>.<The cost was {Amount_Paid}.><They were noted as {Religion}.><Their ability to read or write was {ReadWrite}.><Their occupation was listed as {Occupation}.><{ColonyRelation} was.. still working on it - ideas welcomed.> {Repository} {RegNo}
Longfoot.jpg
Longfoot.jpg (156.42 KiB) Viewed 3612 times

It almost reads as I wish, clearly too lengthy & I'd rather it be in the the individual's story. What's the point of sourcing if no one is going to know these bits of trivia when sending them a pdf or when it's printed. Shame we don't have this much freedom in the Fact Definition sentences, or so I thought. Touching buttons led me to "Data References". Going round in circles from the KB to the same linked page of using Source Templates & Advanced feature for Fact Definition Sentence Template I did realise I could use some of the DR's to pull in from the Source Template into the Fact Definition Sentence Template. (least that's how it sounds)
Fact & DF.jpg
Fact & DF.jpg (205.62 KiB) Viewed 3612 times

What I couldn't find was a cheat sheet for what each would do (ok I know what Name/date/month/day/year etc would do, I guess that's why it's advanced). So instead of trying every option I'm hoping to gain help here. As one of my 'attempts' will show what I thought would happen simply just inserted the above footnote coding. Which doesn't read well on the Individual Narrative Report.
Result.jpg
Result.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
My own critiques
* I need to tweak {Type} to include Immigrant in 'Assisted Passenger'.
* The {Age} sentence could get messy if document includes an age but nothing else. Though in that case I'd probably just use "Emmigration" Fact.

PART #2
I've realised the footnote would be included in the 'individual's story' as well be listed in the "sources" list. I did think there was an option to only show "Short footnote". But looking at "Report Options" on the "Sources" tab it doesn't appear to offer that only option is 'use short footnotes for citations to 'already-cited sources'. I think I've been clever enough to figure out finally after 18 months of using FH how to use/attach source(s). To me Cite/Source almost feels like same thing. I know it's not. (Problem/explanation hopefully for next time - I realise how silly that sounds considering my question)

So I'd want my longwinded footnote included in the individual's 'main story' but not included on the source page, I'd only want to include a 'short footnote' on the "Sources" list page. If that is possible I can tweak my footnotes to allow for that.

Thanks for any guidance offered :)
Kylie :)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: 2 Parts - include Custom Source Template footnote in fact definition sentence template

Post by tatewise »

There are several conceptual topics introduced here and I don't have all the answers.

1) Footnotes
I think these are meant to be a summary of significant source document details to appear in the Sources section of Reports.
I don't think they are intended to be a narrative sentence.

2) Sources section in Reports
To answer one question the Report > Options > Sources tab has Use Short Footnotes for Citations Already Cited.
However, that may not do exactly what you want.

It is also possible to include Media Pictures and append Text from Source and Notes that could provide more complete information in Reports of any type and not just Narrative Reports. That may provide what you were looking for in PDF Reports.

3) Sentence Templates
These only apply to Narrative Reports.
The data references can identify each templated Source field such as To, From and Age in your screenshot.

One option using <<Insert Code > Data Reference... and Fact + Source> + (Field) provides:
{%FACT.SOUR[1]._FIELD[1]%}
That refers to the 1st Source Citation and the 1st templated Field (which is To in your example).
{%FACT.SOUR[1]._FIELD[2]%} refers to the 2nd Field (Type in your example).
Alternatively, you can use Field Shortcuts by name:
e.g. {%FACT.SOUR[1].~TX-TO%} and {%FACT.SOUR[1].~TX-TYPE%} and {%FACT.SOUR[1].~TX-FROM%}
They are explained in Understanding Data References under Data References And Metafields.
The prefix TX- depends on the fields being Text type fields. Other prefixes are used for other field types.

BUT, those all refer to the 1st Citation, so if the Source record fields you want are in the 2nd Citation then all the above references must start with {%FACT.SOUR[2]. ... %}.

You must also use all the advanced Source Template techniques such as < angle brackets > to cope with optional fields, etc, which can be explained in a later reply after you have grasped the basics.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: 2 Parts - include Custom Source Template footnote in fact definition sentence template

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

As Mike says, you're trying to put too much information in the Footnotes -- and indeed in your Source Template!

The Source Template should only contain the information needed to identify/locate the source, not all the information that is held in the source. -- for that, you should use Text from Source plus the details associated with the Facts for which you cite the source. The help file says:
Q. I want to record some of the details of the information provided in my sources. Does that mean I should use the Advanced collection as they have more fields?

Probably not - or not for that reason. It's often a good idea to record text from a source. It means that it is available to be searched, for example. It may also provide useful supporting evidence to support the conclusions you came to, when viewing the source. And it shows how you interpreted data that may sometimes be hard to read, and possibly confusing for that reason. But the goal of recording text from source is separate from the goal of citing a source. The goal of citing a source, as stated above, is to allow others to locate the source, and the exact part of the source that you want to refer to. Recording text from a source goes beyond that. Every source record (generic or templated) allows you to store information in a Text from Source field in the Source record itself (see the Text from Source tab in the Citation Window). You can also, if you prefer, attach Text from Source to the citation. Family Historian allows you to easily record Text from Source using autotext, which is designed to fit the type of Text from Source you wish to record. It could easily happen that two source records share the same template, but are quite different for the purposes of recording Text from Source, and hence need different autotext. For example, you might use the Census Return template from the Essentials collection, to record an 1881 UK census in one Source record, and to record an 1891 UK census in another. Both source records use the same template. But when recording the information in the respective Text from Source fields, you would probably use 1881 UK Census autotext for Text from Source for the first source record and 1891 UK Census for the second. To learn more about using autotext to record Text from Source fields, see autotext.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

I know the source should not sound like a narrative. I could just show what I wanted there because I can not seem to make it work in the Fact Definition Sentence Template.

I probably didn't make myself clear. The images I attached showing the lengthy footnote. I want as a narrative instead. Is there a way to do that?

I honestly don't think I explained myself very well :( sorry

regarding " It's often a good idea to record text from a source" (or citation). If I click "show notes of source/citation" in the in the options of the report that still shows in the source page NOT the narrative.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The narrative should be associated with the Fact(s) and not the source. Some people construct a local note for the fact containing the details they want to display, and then set the sentence template to {note}.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

I've done that a few times. It gets time consuming, (Except for copying & pasting Family notices from Trove).

Don't understand why FH has given so much freedom to invent, tweak Source Templates but not tweak the narrative via the Facts.

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so you intend to reformat the Footnote back to just be a summary.

As I started to explain under 3) Sentence Templates earlier, FH does offer just as much, if not more, customisation options to tweak Sentence Templates as it does for Footnotes. There are some examples in the FH Help and FHUG KB.

However, as Helen says, many of those Source record fields could/should be in the 'Passenger' or other facts.
e.g.
Date should be the fact Date.
Age should be the fact Age.
Name is already the Individual record Name.

Occupation should be associated with a separate Occupation fact.
Religion should be associated with a standard Religion fact.

Other fields could be labelled Note text in the associated fact.
All the above facts would have a Citation of the Source record.

All that should exist in the Source record is the Media image and the Text From Source transcript of the passenger list.
If several family members were on the same ship, they would all be listed in that one Source record just as a Census household.
Then it is not possible to have Source Fields such as Name, Age, Amount Paid, Occupation, Religion, etc, because they only apply to one person.

With those adjustments, it will make narrative Sentence Template construction much easier.
Nevertheless, as I started to explain, Sentence Templates can refer to Source fields but it gets tricky.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Like this?
Attachments
sourcepg.jpg
sourcepg.jpg (191.96 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
fact sentences.jpg
fact sentences.jpg (118.04 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is a more conventional strategy.
You can probably improve the wording of the narrative sentences to make them a bit less repetitive.
e.g.
Only put the explicit Age: 7 in the Emigration event and leave Age blank in the other facts, because being Catholic and Literate does not apply to her just when 7 years old. It is the Emigration that happened when she was aged 7.

To provide more detailed advice we would need to see the Facts and the Sentence Templates.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Current narrative with the Fact Definition Sentence Template set out.
NB:
*"Her trip cost 15 pounds" is the note from Maude's Mother's note window. Unfortunately it also includes sister Florence who actually paid 1 pound.
*I'd like to stop the surname being included & in capitals (at times).
*Relationship in the colony "unclear" - couldn't think how to say the paper work was faded in a shorter way.
*Also with the above I forgot to include {note} in the template yet magically it's there (ie: ", their condition was noted as "Good".") ?!?
senttemp1.jpg
senttemp1.jpg (379.4 KiB) Viewed 3471 times

More of the same plus the Witness Roles Sentence Template
senttemp2.jpg
senttemp2.jpg (395.76 KiB) Viewed 3471 times

Showing how I've worded my Census Witness Role Sentence Template. And hopefully I'll figured out how to delete all the dupes & mistaken Fact Types but would appreciate help.
census.jpg
census.jpg (165.02 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
I'm aware some of my Fact Types should be Events not Attributes & vice versa.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Note text can be included by two mechanisms:
1) Use Sentence Template codes such as {note} or {=GetLabelledTex(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Label: ")}
2) Use Report > Options > Main tab and tick Inc. Event/Attr Notes
If both are used, then FH only includes the Note text once, but all fact Note text will get included.

In general Surnames in Capitals is governed by Tools > Preferences > General and Display surnames in upper case.
That applies to all Sentence Template codes that display full names such as {indiviudal} and {other= ... } and {%CUR_PRIN.NAME%} so there is nothing you can do about that except change the Preferences setting.
I've tried various 'tricks' with functions but nothing can produce Title case surnames.
We need a =ToTitle() function to supplement =ToLower() and =ToUpper().

The only way to prevent Surnames being displayed is {%CUR_PRIN.NAME:FIRST%}, etc, but only allowed in some contexts.

To remove unwanted definitions from Tools > Fact Types... use its Delete button on the right of your last screenshot.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Regarding the "delete" when I do it simply disables it & hides it. Not important just looks messy.

Thanks for the tip about SURNAMES being in capitals & the note information. I've put {note} in most of my sentence templates. Though that's changing now I've learned more.

So now back to the narrative tweaking I originally started the post with - Mike you mentioned in your post "To provide more detailed advice we would need to see the Facts and the Sentence Templates."

Hence the screen shots in hopes I can be advised on some, for lack of better term entry level "Advanced" templates. Eg: the {%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1]%} I used (fluked).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't understand why you cannot delete a Fact Type definition.
In the Tools > Fact Types... dialogue, select the <eclipsed> <disabled> fact you want deleted and click the Delete button, fourth button down on the right.
It should popup a message window asking to Delete selected items? with an explanatory Note and OK & Cancel buttons.

Regarding tweaking Sentence Templates, you have mastered many of the features already.
Use <<Insert Code > How to Use Advanced Features... to display the associated Help page.
Scroll up and down for details of the various codes and data references and functions that can be used.

See examples of the =GetLabelledText() function in Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates under Custom Fact Fields.

I suspect you understand the conditional < angle brackets > feature, but that has limitations that sometimes can be avoided by using the =CombineText() function to display items conditionally on their existence. Likewise, the =TextIf() function.

It is difficult to go through all the possibilities without some desired narrative motivation.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Thanks I'll give those examples & links you suggest in the morning.

I may have been doing too many things at once last night when attempting to delete some fact types or maybe I had more duplicates than I realised. I don't know how long my Mum had FH for before she passed (2yrs ago) & how many extra things she tried before I took on this extremely addictive hobby.

Thanks again - resting my brain for now. :)
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Quickly re: deleting fact types - either I had more dupes than I thought or stress of this sentence template I'm hoping for is distracting me from simple tasks.

I read help & links. I really like the birth & baptism event. I hope to use it occasionally in other events. Thank you :)

I learn easier by taking something that works apart & putting it back together in different ways to see if it still works or does something different. IE: I created a BB Fact to test the B&B event with. I can see why it mentions me as Joe Bloggs 7th cousin 3x removed wife's half aunt. I removed some of it to see what happened oops nothing. I now realise why it works that way. From there I know what will impact badly & or otherwise. But there's no way I could have created that from scratch & it work (these days anyway).

Similar to I realised why the font after my image was no longer decreased. I can work things out if I can see how it works as a whole.

I tried the Getlabelled example in the Custom Fact Fields from the link you included. Got it work but not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

Not related to the above at all - I was going through All Facts in the Query Window.
I believe for example if I used {%CUR_FILE_ROOT.~CHIL[1]>NAME[1]:GIVEN%} this would show my first child's given name only?

If I put ~CHIL[2] instead it would only show my 2nd child & their given name?

Obviously put in the correct context & strings & functions.

I understand =Textif ... looks for particular text. Get...grabs it all. TextPart can't explain but understand what the help file meant.
Combineif comes in handy if <isn't going to work>.

Out of the millions of possible strings functions arguments etc in the list of All Fact - I have no clue what I'm looking for except parts of it would include something similar to this I believe %FACT._SHAR[1]>_ATTR-TEST_PASSENGER[1].SOUR[1]>TEXT.SOUR[1]>TEXT[1]%.

Here's text from source. I can happily change it to no table if need be.
txtfrom.jpg
txtfrom.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

I'd want the Fact Type, Sentence Template to have a customised template that would create the following, by getting the information from the "Text from source".

Example 1) May 1884 Maude arrived in NSW from England aboard the Texan. Annie & Florence arrived with her, the journey was a total cost of £17. They had no connection in the colony. The family could not read & write.
Or
Example 2) Emigrating from England with mother Annie & sister Florence, Maude arrived in NSW in May 1884 aboard the Texan. Her cost of the journey was £1. Anthony Doe was their connection in the colony. Other information regarding Maude was the following: considered in good condition, could read & write & religion. (if noted)

I'd appreciate many of those that can to create such a thing for me. If asking for this is against the rules, I sincerely apologise. Please remove this line or post if needed.

I understand Facts eg: religion, literacy, cost of voyage, emigration, article in the paper, awards, armed forces, etc are all facts. The narrative is boring, repeating He/She, His/Her every few words.
I've started to remove {date} from some facts however that impacts on other narratives. I liked the idea though & it would work well if (& when) printing one narrative at a time.

Also please note the 'footnote' is as it should be & not the long one I used in my original post to illustrate my hopes.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Good morning Kylie.

I presume you got the Tools > Fact Types... Delete button to work?

Where did you find the Birth & Baptism Event? I don't recall seeing that before.

Were your experiments with that B&B Event in a Narrative Report or a Diagram? I'm not quite sure.

Then you moved on to Queries, which might be better in a separate thread.
In Query expressions, nothing is enclosed in { curly brackets } which only apply in Sentence Templates.
In the Columns tab, use the Fields data reference assistant (DRA) on the left to compose Data References.
However, it does not like File Root + Child i.e. %CUR_FILE_ROOT.~CHIL[1]>% and I don't know why.
The data ref {%CUR_FILE_ROOT.~CHIL[1]>NAME[1]:GIVEN%} should work in a Sentence Template.
It would be interesting to see where it could be used.

Yes, %FACT._SHAR[1]>_ATTR-TEST_PASSENGER[1].SOUR[1]>...% would refer to the 1st Fact Witness for the current Fact and find the Test Passenger fact Source Citation.
However, as we discussed earlier, it is unusual to refer to the Source records in Sentence Templates.
Usually, the significant details are incorporated into the Fact fields of each person, and those used to compose sentences.

You are not the first to comment that the narrative sentences tend to be repetitively boring.
It takes some ingenuity to make them more interesting, but computer-generated text is unlikely to be a prize-winning novel.
That is why it was mentioned earlier that some users compose their own free-flowing style of narrative in the Note text and just use the {note} code as the Sentence Template for most Facts. Your examples fall into this category.
It is probably less effort to compose just what you want the report to say, than create very advanced expressions that may need regular revision as new cases arise.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Thanks Mike.

Sorry Yes I managed to delete fact types with no issue.

Reason I was in the Query window was only to find the codes to the facts.

The Birth & Bapt Event is on the page you suggested https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/narra ... templates/ Bottom of the page above Burial Event.

My experiment with the Birth & Bapt event were for the Narrative. Wouldn't think a diagram would need all that stuff?! Only diagram I've looked at are the "Family Tree" with ancestors/descendants/all etc.

I was only using %CUR_FILE_ROOT.~CHIL[1]>NAME[1]:GIVEN% as an example to find out if I was understanding at least some of what you had been explaining & if I changed the [1] to a [2] would be the 2nd child, had no intention of actually using it.

Doh The Fields data area you mentioned, mine was set to show "Data reference in box" that's why I wasn't getting any descriptions! I've clicked show BOTH in box now.

Thanks again

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Instead of Query Columns tab Fields data ref assistant use the Fact Types definition <<Insert Code > Data Reference... data ref assistant that offers the same codes.

You referred to a single specific B&B Event, whereas that Birth & Baptism Events section involves the two separate standard Birth Event and Baptism Event facts. So I was confused how a single B&B Event applied.

It was your reference to fonts and images that made me think of Diagrams.

Yes, the [1] index refers to the 1st instance of a data item, [2] refers to the 2nd instance, etc.
So ~CHIL[2] refers to 2nd child, and NAME[2] refers to the Alternate Name, and CENS[2] refers to 2nd Census Event, etc.
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Thank you