* Janes Icons

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jetstream
Family Historian: V7

Janes Icons

Post by jetstream »

Good Morning,
I would like to add census icons to my diagrams. I have downloaded the plug in to my "downloads" file, but the next step has beaten me. Any help would be much appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Janes Icons

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first FHUG posting.

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as it is nothing to do with Plugins.

I think you are referring to the FHUG Download Jane’s Census and Certificate Icons.

In FH v7 there are many coloured Number Labels that can be used as Census Icons and are similar to Jane's Census Icons.
Also, they use the .emf file format preferred in FH v7 instead of the .bmp file format. That is why the Icon Downloads are marked as for FH versions: V4, V5, and V6 except for 2021 Converted Icons. I suggest you discard the download.

See FHUG Knowledge Base Using Icons but note that it is for FH versions: V4, V5, and V6 although FH v7 is largely similar.
An important decision is whether to use Boxes tab Conditions for Record Flag or Expression. The latter is often preferred.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jetstream

Post by jetstream »

Thankyou for the reply and advice. I will discard the download and refer to "Using Icons" in the knowledge base.
I've been using Family Tree Maker for many years and moved over to Family Historian recently. Hence I am navigating my way slowly through FH, plus I'm a little slow on the uptake these days.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I hope you have followed the advice in Importing to Family Historian under Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM).
It would be prudent to 'clean up' the imported data before moving on to new features.
jetstream

Post by jetstream »

Yes Mike - a good idea. I have imported two large trees from FTM, without any hitch ! at the moment. I think FH offers so much more than FTM, but it will be a very steep learning curve.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct. As with any significant software product it takes time to understand its features and choose how to use them.
Spend time understanding what FH offers, how the data is represented, and how it appears in Diagrams and Reports.
Consistency is the watchword. The Family Historian Sample Project has some examples of most data.

One thing to consider, assuming those two trees contain people who are inter-related, is to merge them into one Project.
jetstream

Post by jetstream »

Thanks Mike. I have referred to the sample project on occassions and found it helpful. I think this is the way forward - slowly but surely
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have created numbered Icons for England , Ireland Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, USA and Canada from scratch in emf format for FH7, but can't remember how, or where to upload them to so other's can use them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John see FHUG Knowledge Base > Contribute > Add/Update a Download.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Thanks Mike,
I have now uploaded my Icon set. I hope users like them
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John, there's a delay between you submitting them and them actually getting posted -- shouldn't be long, but don't worry when they don't appear straight away.