* Snip tool not working?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Klaus Yde
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Snip tool not working?

Post by Klaus Yde »

I use the Win10 Snip tool a lot. But it doesn't work inside FH7, i have just found out. But if you place your cursor outside the FH7 window and then use the PrScrn key, then you can get it working. Weird?
Last edited by Klaus Yde on 05 May 2021 20:04, edited 2 times in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Snip tool not working?

Post by tatewise »

I guess you mean the Snip & Sketch tool.
In what way does it not work inside FH v7?
With the FH window active, and the cursor in FH, for me, the PrtScn button invokes Snip & Sketch OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

On my PC fully updated and with the new FH update, the tool only works with the cursor placed outside the FH window. I just got surprised. But I can understand it is a not a problem for all and easily circumvented 😉.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I still don't understand what you mean by "the tool only works with the cursor placed outside the FH window".
Do you mean the PrtScn button does not launch Snip & Sketch?
Or do you mean you cannot capture screenshots when the cursor is inside the FH window?
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

The last.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So is it that you don't get the Snip & Sketch cross-hair + cursor?
Or is it that Snip & Sketch sometimes says that it cannot find the capture file?
I do get that message occasionally but a second attempt works OK.
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

It works the old way. No croshair. Just taking the whole screen as it did earlier.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Klaus Yde wrote: 05 May 2021 17:49 It works the old way. No croshair. Just taking the whole screen as it did earlier.
I have the same experience as Mike - just use the Prt Scrn button and get the crosshairs with no problem. Win10 Pro, latest version of FH.

Odd issue.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

On the keyboard I prompt the windows button +shift+S and use the cursor to cover the whole area I want printed. Unfortunately it can only be done on what is visible on the screen. If I want more than is shown on the screen I load the copy onto my photo software then add a bigger area to what had been snipped. I then go back to what I had snipped and move the window to arteas I couldn't snip then do another snip and backto the photo software and load the second snip to the blank area what I had added to the first snip

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but I don't understand Victor, what that has to do with Snip & Sketch and PrtScn not working properly?

Klaus, are you saying that when the cursor is inside FH, the PrtScn button captures the whole screen on the clipboard instead of invoking Snip & Sketch?
But when the cursor is outside FH, the PrtScn button does invoke Snip & Sketch as expected?

If your answers as 'Yes' then it sounds like you have a shortcut defined using something like AutoHotkey that only affects the PrtScn button when FH is the active window.
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Yes. But i dont know or use any autohotkey. I havent heard about those before. I speculate if it could be a difference between an english and a nonenglish win10 installation? Mine is Danish.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

tatewise wrote: 05 May 2021 21:40 Sorry, but I don't understand Victor, what that has to do with Snip & Sketch and PrtScn not working properly
On my setup (which is fully updated Windows 10 Home and FH 7.0.5) the prt sc button opens "Easy Sketch Manager" only when the cursor is placed outside of the FH window. When the cursor is in the FH window nothing happens. Snip and Sketch accessed via Windows Logo + Shift + S works as expected.

The prt sc button can be configured to open Snip and Sketch by Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard > Print Screen short cut
see screen shot:Image

I hope this helps.Image
Screenshot 2021-05-06 082400.jpg
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

When you prompt print screen button it covers the whole screen and you need to edit it to show just what you want to add.
When you use windows key+shift+ S you use the cursor to cover just the area you want to save. No further editing needed unless there is an area outside the screen you want to add. What I am saying is a general use not just confined to FH.
If, for example there is a long newspaper report which only part is shown on the screen. After you have saved the top part move the screen to show the lower part then use the method just described and save it. Then, using photo software combine the two so you get the full article then you add this into FH

Victor
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Victor,

(1) as David has explained, many of us have configured the PrtScn button to invoke the Snip and Sketch tool, so you can select the area you want.

(2) I find it much easier to use a browser extensions like GoFullPage in Chrome (there are equivalents for Firefox and Edge) to grab a screenshot of a complete browser page even if some of it is off screen -- no need for tedious stitching together with a photo tool.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Another nice add-on for Chrome is "Take Webpage Screenshots Entirely - FireShot". It can take a full page screenshot like GoFullPage, but it can also take a screenshot of a selection of that page (such as a column in a newspaper for example) even if that requires scrolling down to get the entire area you want.

Bill
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

On my Windows 10, using Google chrome, Print screen just copies the screen.
I have Snip and sketch as a link on my desktop.
Or Windows logo key +Shift + S
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

I have the old "snip" tool on my taskbar, which I find less hassle.
It is still available in "windows accessories" ;)