* Printed reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Printed reports

Post by Johnr65 »

In FH6 I was able to change the heading of an ancestry report so that it showed the date and my name. Since FH7 the report shows none of this and saves it as an adobe pf as well not the named version as before?
Is there a way to alter this?
:?: :?:
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Printed reports

Post by tatewise »

I guess you are talking about the Header at the top of every page rather than the bold Heading at the start of Page 1.
That feature has not changed in FH v7.
Theoretically, it should have inherited the settings from your FH v6 Ancestry Report, but maybe only if you had saved it as a Report Type.

Anyway, the technique to adjust the Header is the same as before.
Use the Report > Options > Page Layout tab and change the Header settings in the middle.

I'm not sure what you mean by "adobe pf" and "named version". Could you be more precise.
The Save Report As > PDF File... command works in FH v7 the same as in FH v6 for me.
If it is an Ancestors By Generation report then it is saved as a ...\Public\Ancestors By Generation.pdf.
What print command are you using?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you, Mike, I've adjusted the header and now it shows my name on each page of the report as the originator, I guess that is because I entered it in the RHS of the title?
I feel sure that when I used to save the report it said something like my name descendants/ ancestors and date, now when I look in downloads it just says Family Ancestry Report.pdf?
I just use the 'Print' option beside the report.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What appears where in the Header and the Footer depends on what you enter in the Left/Centre/Right-aligned Text boxes for the Page Layout tab Header and Footer fields.
There is a simple one to one relationship between those boxes and the left, centre, right text in the Report Header & Footer.

I have just checked the Print... button in FH v6 versus FH v7 and they do seem to be different.
FH v6 prints to ...\Documents\<current project name>.pdf depending on the Project name.
FH v7 prints to ...\Documents\Family Historian Report.pdf unconditionally.

So perhaps if your Project name includes your name descendants/ancestors and date then that is what you recall.

The Save Report As > PDF File... command works in FH v7 the same as in FH v6.
If it is an Ancestors By Generation report then it is saved as a ...\Public\Ancestors By Generation.pdf.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I only ever use the 'Print' option for the report never used Save As. So FH6 was easier to amend than the FH7 version?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't understand what you are asking with "So FH6 was easier to amend than the FH7 version?"
What was easier to amend?
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

When I go to 'downloads' using FH7 I have to delete the complete name and rename it; in FH6 I could amend it without deleting everything.
It seems that CP-like Ancestry and now Scotlands People all want to make using their programs/sites more difficult. It must be some sort of marketing conspiracy?
:evil: :evil:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you would prefer the FH v7 Report Print... command PDF filename to be the Project name as it was in FH v6.

I suggest you report that problem to CP via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.

Interestingly, the FH v7 Diagram Print... command PDF filename is the Project name as it was in FH v6.
So you can use that as further justification that the change in FH v7 is a mistake.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I posted to CP but they didn't reply.
Another problem is that when I enter my name in the right header in the report it doesn't stay there but after a few weeks, it disappears. Is there a way of making it stay there forever?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Your options might have been re-set by a minor V7 upgrade. The solution is to Save Report As > Custom Report Type and give it a distinct name. Custom report types will not be affected by upgrades.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, I am surprised CP have not replied. They usually do so within a few days.
Did you get an immediate Email acknowledging that you had posted a request for support worded such as:
Subject: Support Ticket Opened [#123]
From: family historian support <support@family-historian.co.uk>
A request for support has been created and assigned ticket #123. A support agent will follow-up with you as soon as possible.
You can view this ticket's progress online here: http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/view ... ciDw%3D%3D
If you wish to send additional comments or information regarding this issue, please don't open a new ticket. Simply login using the link above and update the ticket.
Family Historian Support
If not then you have not successfully posted a request. So please try again and check it says a request got posted.
Have you checked your spam message folder? The CP messages may be hiding there.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I've contacted CP again and got a confirmation from them, Mike.

Lorna where do I 'Save As' custom report?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With the Report displayed use the Save Report As > Custom Report Type... on the right or the Report > Save Report as > Custom Report Type... menu command at the top.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you Mike, I can see it now.
I had a reply from CP which I don't understand which said:

If you select Print on the report display, that will take you to the Print dialogue selector and you then select which PDF or real printer you want. In this case the PDF printer driver is not under Family Historians control.

If you select the Save As PDF option the files are saved within the Projects pubic folder by default.

:?: :?:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is difficult to put that reply into context because I don't know what you asked in the support request to CP.
Did you cross-refer to this thread?
Did you make it clear you always use Print... (or File > Print...) with the Printer Name: Family Historian PDF?
Did you contrast it with using File > Print... with Diagrams that do use the Project name?
Did you contrast it with FH v6 where File > Print... with both Reports and Diagrams did use the Project name?
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I wrote to CP:
Print... command PDF filename to be the Project name as it was in FH v6, please.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you reply to the CP answer with the details I posted just now, otherwise CP cannot put your request in context.

You have not even mentioned that the problem applies just to Reports and not Diagrams that still behave as in FH v6.
You must also say you use the Family Historian PDF printer.

When posting here or in CP support requests please remember that the recipient does not know the history of what you have been doing and it all needs to be specifically put in context.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I didn't realise that CP could access this forum. Therefore I have replied to them referring to this thread.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The whole world can access this Forum and the Knowledge Base in read-only mode. Try it without logging in.
You only need an account to post messages and I'm sure CP have at least one such account.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I know it helps them if you include a link to any thread, which results in a ticket being raised. As I doubt they read every forum post.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Had a reply from CP which says:
Just to be clear, you can change the name before you save the file. If you use the technique you have described to save a report as a PDF file ("use Print... (or File > Print...) with the Printer Name: Family Historian PDF?") a window will be displayed with the full file name of the file that's about to created - e.g. "C:\My Documents\Family Historian Report.pdf". You can change both the location and the file name at this point if you want to. Just appreciate that the parts ending in a slash (\) are folders. So, for example, if you changed the above to "C:\My Documents\My report.pdf" before clicking OK, the report would be saved as "My report" in the "My Documents" folder on our C: drive.

However, we have logged your request that the default name for the file should be the project name, and will think further about that. Thank you for raising this issue.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that feedback John. CP are only telling us what we already know!
They still don't seem to have grasped the fact that printing a Report in FH v7 has for some reason been changed compared with all previous FH versions and compared with printing a Diagram in all versions including FH v7.
In all those cases, except printing Reports in FH v7, they use the Project name.
Did you make that point clear to CP?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I would think it hard to come up with a default that satisfies everyone -- I, for example, would prefer that the file name be left blank and the location default to a particular folder. Luckily, using the Family Historian PDF printer, I can configure my own defaults... as can everyone. Getting the Project name in the file name is a little tricky -- you have to create a 'Profile' for each Project named the same as the project and turn on prompting for the Profile name. Or it might be possible to do something with the document settings within NovaPDF but I haven't got time to experiment.
Screenshot 2021-08-05 170126.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-05 170126.jpg (224.83 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is no doubt a workaround, but probably not so easy if you have several Projects.
What is mysterious is why it has changed from FH v6 only for Reports and not for Diagrams.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm not sure using the novapdf settings as designed should be described as a workaround. However I did say getting the project name in was difficult.

I would also reiterate that reverting to the old default would be a retrograde step for some of us. I do agree that consistency would be nice.