* Adding emails to media

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Gillian
Family Historian: V7

Adding emails to media

Post by Gillian »

Hello
I would be grateful if anybody could help me with this - I have emails from distant relatives that I would like to add to the media page of an ancestor, but dont know how to do this. If someone knows how this can be done, i would be very grateful.
Thankyou
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Adding emails to media

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Gillian.

I would treat an Email as a Source document similar to a Birth Certificate or a Census.
It provides proof of at least two people: the sender and the recipient and probably a date.
Its content may also provide more useful facts.
So both people could have a Communications (or similar) custom fact that cites the Source document.
( I use a custom fact like that for Emails, Letters, and similar communications. )

The Source record Text From Source field can contain an exact transcript of the Email.
The Author field would be the sender.
Also, you could capture a screenshot of the Email itself and add that as a Media image.

Is that clear enough or do you need more detailed advice?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gillian

Re: Adding emails to media

Post by Gillian »

Thank you for your welcome Mike!
I like the idea of adding the email as a screenshot, I hadn't thought of doing that which would probably be the easiest way.
Thank you so much.
Gillian