* Questions about Books

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
klm2OUMK
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Questions about Books

Post by klm2OUMK »

At the moment I have started to successfully add a 'Free Text Chapter to a Book' in Publish using the FH7 new word processing function on family grave sites.

At the moment I can not find how to add one of my own .jpeg images of the family grave located in Media of the Family Project into the newly created free text in a book chapter. Does this somehow involve either a Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop technique into a specific position in the free text?

Also can I add my own images in free text books from Media of the family project of other secondary social history context such as old photographs and old maps?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Questions about Books

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I've moved this as it's a new topic unrelated to Historical Timelines.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The clue is in the name Free Text! Those pages cannot include anything except text.

There are various ways of adding Media...

Experiment with the Publish > Media Report and customise the Options so it only includes what you want.
I am fairly sure you can get it down to just the image and its title if necessary. Save the Options as a Report Type.
Then you would use the Other Report... option in the Book to choose that Type of Media Report.

You could insert Blank Pages (placeholder) and insert the Media image(s) externally using a word-processor after using the Save Book As > Word-Procesor Document (RTF) option.

Finally, you can use the Saved Chart... option to insert a Family Historian Saved Chart that instead of a family tree just has inserted images and text that can be arranged similar to a word-processor.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Creating a Book under Book Free Page Content.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you .I should have realized that I chose the wrong option when I started using it.

I will try your alternative suggestions in the next few days and give you my feedback
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Just tryed your second suggestion using Blank Pages (placeholder) and started to successfully insert .jpg images of Project Families gravestones externally using the Save Book As >Word Processor Document (RTF) option, thank you. I can include text relating to the context of the images

(I was not sure about using Media Reports with choice of options)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To open a Media Report use the Publish > Media Report command and select any Media image of interest.
That displays lots of information associated with the use of that Media image that you probably want to exclude so you just have the Media image displayed.

So use the Report > Report Options... command or click the Options... button on the right.

On the Main tab, untick all the options.

On the Data Items tab, select all the Section & Label entries by selecting the first, scroll to the bottom, hold down Shft key and select the last, so they are all highlighted in blue. Then click the Delete button and OK the warning. That will Hide all the items.

On the Sources tab, untick Show Source Citations.

On the Format tab, select Details at the bottom, click Edit... button, choose Hide and click OK.
Repeat that with People and if necessary Record.

That should reduce the Report to just the Media image, but some things I could not completely remove.

Now use Save Report As... > Custom Report Type... and give it a memorable Name such as Just Media.

In the Book editor, add Other Report... and choose Just Media and select any Media image.
Unfortunately, although nothing but the image is shown in the Just Media Report, sometimes other items appear in the Book version, so this is not as workable as I thought it might be.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Just opened your comprehensive useful explanation of how to use Media Report to include images in narratives,thank you. I will try out your suggestion in the next few days and let you know how I get on and compare it with the other method already tried.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Just tryed your creation of a Just Media Report . I agree with you this is not as workable option at the moment for my requirements. So will use your other suggestion for the time being using Blank Pages (placeholder) and save book as a Word Processor Document (RTF) option ,thank you.