* Restoring a zip back up file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
WBFamHist
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Restoring a zip back up file

Post by WBFamHist »

I am using the latest version 7.0.3 and have recently had problems with a slow backup of my project. On reopening it, I now find that I have lost a lot of the data. I have a fairly recent gedcom file of my project but when I open this and load the project, I cannot save any changes that I make to it. Is there any way of restoring this gedcom so that I can make changes.
Best regards Richard
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Restoring a zip back up file

Post by tatewise »

Could I ask you to update your Profile shown to the right of your postings so it says Family Historian: V7
Just click on your login name and then Edit profile. After changing the version scroll down to click Submit.

Regarding your problem. Do you mean slow Backup or a slow Save?
How do you know you have lost data? Maybe it is just hiding?

Anyway, to restore a backup ZIP file use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup... and select the ZIP file.
Assuming it is a Medium or Full Backup then it will create a new Project alongside your existing Project, probably with a (2) suffix to distinguish them.

Do not try and open any files such as the GEDCOM that are inside the ZIP folder.

If it is a Small Backup GEDCOM only then the process is a bit different. Let me know so I can explain.

See FHUG Knowledge Base Backup and Recovery for full details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

Mike Firstly my apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I have just got my laptop back from repair at HP.

The problem has been caused on several occasions by a very slow backup on exit from the program - it seems that the backup freezes around the 50% mark. I have used the restore program to get back to a previous version on each occasion that data has been "lost" on backup. I have just upgraded to version 7.0.5 so will see if this happens again and if so will follow it up with you.

Best regards Richard
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Might the slow Backup have anything to do with the laptop repair that was needed?
What device & folder are you using as the destination for the Backups?
Is it the internal laptop drive, an external drive, a USB memory stick?
I very much doubt that the upgrade from v7.0.3 to v7.0.5 will have changed the Backup process.

To solve these types of intermittent problem you need to be very aware of what the Backup is doing and describe those symptoms as fully as possible to us. Screenshots of the failure are often very helpful.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry