* Is there a better way to configure diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Is there a better way to configure diagrams

Post by rfj1001 »

I'm not expecting the text of the file attach to be in anyway legible but there are two boxes in the latest generation of the tree that are coloured yellow (via box marking).

I'm working on these two people and specific parts of their earlier generations to fit in a third person based, at the moment, on a triangulated DNA match and their partial tree. I've got many puzzles like this to solve.

You can imagine that, on screen, there is a lot of scrolling to do and that is with as many of the irrelevant descendant branches manually closed. It is tedious, difficult and very inefficient, particularly as I know through visual inspection that a huge number of displayed siblings are irrelevant. When I recreate the diagram I obviously have to start right from scratch again.

I'm wondering if others have come up with a better way of doing this so that I'm working with a tighter set of ancestral lines from two different parts of a very large tree that connect at around 3rd to 6th cousin level.

Thanks in advance.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Is there a better way to configure diagrams

Post by tatewise »

After closing or hiding or moving as many branches and individuals as necessary, use Diagram > Save Diagram to save it as a Family Historian Chart. Then when that Saved Chart is opened all that reorganisation is preserved.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I know through visual inspection that a huge number of displayed siblings are irrelevant.
If you are certain that some of them are irrelevent you can hide them completely, rather than just closing their descendants branches. (Right click on their box and select Hide.) That will make the diagram much less wide and reduce the amount of scrolling needed.
Then, as Mike says, save it as a Family Historian Chart.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I trick I use is "Edit>Find In Diagram" or CTRL-H to jump around. If you know the record Ids you can put them in and then press enter to jump to that bit of the diagram.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gosforthian
Platinum

Post by gosforthian »

I don't know if this helps, but I tend to use left to right layout rather than top down which feels easier to scroll around.