* Establish fact with 'to' field

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Robert Jacobs
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Establish fact with 'to' field

Post by Robert Jacobs »

I wish to establish a "Deportation" fact which offers the "to" field, similar to the emigration fact. The sentence template would be something like "{individual} was deported from {_place} to {_place2} {date}<. {note}>"

Any suggestions wd be welcome.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Establish fact with "to" field

Post by BillH »

Robert,

It isn't possible to create a fact with both a from and to place unless something has changed.

See this post Copying or creating an Event (14613) for additional info on the topic.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only way to have both a from and to place is to 'borrow' the Emigration event and customise it similar to the way that Recording a Civil Partnership 'borrows' the Marriage event.

Alternatively, use a labelled Note field as explained in Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates under Custom Fact Fields.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
arishmell
Famous

Post by arishmell »

Presumably the same would apply to a Removal Order, from one Parish to another under the Poor Laws? I was surprised to find no such fact exists.
Maureen

Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowd*n, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have previously asked this question about a two place fact and probably cheated by simplifying. I have a Deportation fact.
The sentence is {individual} was deported from {_place} {address} to {_place2} {note} {age} {date}

I enter the date and place from which the transport started and then in the note field (for example)

to Theresienstadt on transport XII/10 of 18 2 1945.

I use it so often that it did not occur to me that it was a custom event. I suspect that Mike created it for me.
I did use the emigration event as a pattern for this but the second place is not added to the Place list.
To add the arrival date to a date field I may use a different fact e.g. Imprisonment. Or in some cases death.

When I have been looking at a particular Transport in detail (the above is one of them) I put the prisoners into a named list. Then I can run a query. One can also sub divide any list according to the town where the prisoners were loaded. I have three named lists for this transport.

At the time I failed to convince another group of software designers (TMG related) that one needed a two date fact. Transports which left Germany for a named destination in 1944-5 were sometimes diverted from their intended destination because of Russian advances and the needs of military transport.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just to be clear, the {_place2} code in that Sentence Template is redundant, serves no purpose, and can be deleted.
( It is only useful in the Immigration and Emigration events that have a 2nd Place field. )
It is the {note} code that is inserting the text from the Note field that holds the 2nd place details.
That is why those place details don't appear as a Place name because they are just Note text.

The user must be careful not to enter anything else in that Note field, unless it is enclosed in [[privacy]] brackets, otherwise that will also appear in the Narrative Report sentence.
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

Thank you all.

Indeed, E. Wilcock, it is a 1942 "transport" from Pithiviers that I need to document.

Mike, I understand that {_place2} won't signify; I can manage with {note}.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You might want to consider using {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"To: ")} instead of {note}
Then the Note box would contain To: Theresienstadt on transport XII/10 of 18 2 1945
Any other text in the Note box is then ignored by the Sentence Template.
See Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates under Custom Fact Fields.

You can even make it optional by using:
< to {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"To: ")}>
then the word to is only include when there is a labelled To: text entry in the Note box.

Also, see the use of the [[ privacy ]] brackets to inhibit the labelled text from reports.
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Re: Establish fact with 'to' field

Post by Robert Jacobs »

This works perfectly, Mike. Thanks so much.