* FH7 : Using Evidence Explained Style

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH7 : Using Evidence Explained Style

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ruth,

If you're willing to do a minor edit to the DEA:
  • Tools > Plugins (on the main menu) to open the Plugins dialog.
  • More>> to reveal an additonal set of actions.
  • Single click on the DEA in the list on the left, and then click the Edit... button on the right
  • The 4th line down will say @Subtype: followed by one or two template names e.g. @Subtype: "Civil Registration Certificate", "Church Register"
  • Add your custom template name to the end of this list, separated by a comma from the previous one and enclosed in double quotes
  • At the top of the editor window, choose File > Save As and give your modified DEA a new name (this will prevent it from being overwritten by a new version of the original DEA if you forget and upgrade it.
  • Close the editor window.
Your modified DEA should now work with your modified template. Note: this only works because the fields in both the original and cloned template are the same, so the DEA can find the data it looks for.
Ruth
Gold

Post by Ruth »

Thank you. That worked. I appreciate your help.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

I read this thread with great interest. Many of the comments on the struggles of other refugees from RootsMagic resonated strongly with me.

I'd call myself a moderate lumper. In RootsMagic, I wrote all my own templates, so it was easy to closely follow the EE-style. My level of lumping was based on consolidating the parts of a citation were reliably invariant and putting the rest into the detail part. So; I really didn't see much of the Lumper-related rework I saw mentioned in the thread. I'm still not quite sure that potential rework is the real issue for me.

However; FH7 isn't RootsMagic. It's obviously splitter-oriented. No issue with that. However; when my RM9 database was directly imported into FH7, I quickly found out that I could no longer be even a moderate lumper and follow the EE-style. Some fields could not be used wherever one wished. Very well, I figured, I'll change to splitting and be able to follow EE-style. Not so fast... The existing plugin to split lumped citations didn't seem to split my directly-imported data. I have full confidence that, had the plugin author sufficient time, they could produce something that would solve my problem. However; if they are as busy as I, then this will likely take a while.

So; I'm not really sure what to do, now. Do I continue as a Lumper and possibly dig a bigger hole (and leave EE-style behind), wait for a plugin to be written/upgraded, or do I re-enter all my citations in order to work with the way FH7 was designed to be used?

None of these options is particularly appealing. So; time for another coffee ...or maybe something stronger....
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary, you still have not responded to Mark in this topic Using Lumped Source Splitter v1.2 on RM9 Imported Sources (21719) where he asked you to post an image of a typical citation from one of your sources. Until you have given Mark a chance to understand the problem and investigate a solution you are not able to plan your next steps. Mark is an experienced plugin author, has detailed knowledge of RootsMagic, and has written other plugins that interact with RootsMagic, so he may not take very long to provide a solution but of course I cannot speak for him.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

"tatewise", I have provided Mark with the screen shot.
For some reason, I didn't get a notification that he'd posted that request and only heard of it via a colleague.
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary, you don't get Email notifications of replies to your postings unless you tick Notify me when a reply is posted.
You have to revisit the posting topic to see replies as you clearly have done in the other threads you posted.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

My apologies,"tatewise".
I'm just not used to using the forums and must have missed doing that.
I'll try to be more diligent in setting the checkbox, but it may take a short while to always remember.
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary, you may find FHUG Knowledge Base topic Forum Usage Tips useful.
It suggests two ways of getting Email notifications of replies and offers many other tips.