* FH7 through Crossover will not load

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dianelingwood
Gold
Family Historian: V7

FH7 through Crossover will not load

Post by dianelingwood »

I have in the last couple of months updated to Crossover V20 and Catalina on my iMac. I purchased FH7 in March and previously posted about using this with Ancestral Sources. I could not get this to work so reverted to just using FH7. I've had a couple of problems in the last few weeks and have had to reinstall FH7 a couple of times and Crossover once (with guidance from CodeWeavers). 2 days ago FH7 started to but would not load. I have since reinstalled it, however whilst it will work initially once I shut down and restart my Mac it will not load up again. Any suggestions of anything I can try to get this to work and settle down!!

With thanks

Diane
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: FH7 through Crossover will not load

Post by Valkrider »

Diane

Are you using V7.0.3+ of FH? If you are, then sorry I have no idea as that runs fine on mine under Mojave. I did have problems with earlier versions.
dianelingwood
Gold

Post by dianelingwood »

Hi Colin

I had updated to V7.03 of FH when it refused to upload a couple of days ago. When I tried to install today I just tried V7.02, with no update, when I rebooted it would not load. So both have now failed for me.

Diane
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Diane,

On thing it might be worthwhile checking is the Mac System Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy, as Catalina might be blocking some necessary access. My settings for Crossover and FH7 are shown below. There could be system differences, but the important check is that all Folders displayed have a 'Blue Tick', unless you really do want to block access.

Mervyn
Attachments
Mac System Settings
Mac System Settings
Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 21.30.42.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
dianelingwood
Gold

Post by dianelingwood »

Hi Mervyn
Many thanks for your reply which is helpful in that having looked at the Privacy screen my settings are not like those shown on your screen shot, a number of elements are missing. It would appear that it is not a matter of certain settings not being checked but items not being there at all. In fact only the Documents Folder is there. I only updated to Catalina a few weeks ago so am still new to this OS. I I have just tried another reinstall of FH7 but everything looks the same, and after a restart I cannot access FH. I'm unsure about what is going wrong and what I need to do. I had to reinstall Crossover about 2 weeks ago (problems at computer start up), everything worked fine for about 10 days but then I got this problem.

Diane
joe81au
Platinum

Post by joe81au »

Am I understanding this thread correctly, FH 7.0.3 and CrossOver 20.x running on BIG SIR 11.2.3 is working correctly?

I have Windows on a desktop and my primary genealogy machnine, but like the ability to run FH 7 on my apple laptop when away from home. I can take a loss of specific functions on the Mac, such as reports and charts so long as there is data integrity across the platforms.
Joe Carter
Aiken, South Carolina, USA
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Joe

I run v7.0.3 on Mojave on my laptop with Crossover 20. The data integrity will rely upon how your share your data between the 2 machines.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Joe, in case you have not seen it checkout Running Family Historian on Crossover.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
joe81au
Platinum

Post by joe81au »

I transfer the data via a thumb drive so that should be ok.

And Thanks Mike.
Joe Carter
Aiken, South Carolina, USA
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

joe81au wrote: 14 Apr 2021 15:09 I transfer the data via a thumb drive so that should be ok.

And Thanks Mike.
Yes that is what I do to so no issues as long as you make sure you copy the files across if you have updated anything on the laptop.