* Double Entry query

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mja2020
Family Historian: V6

Double Entry query

Post by mja2020 »

The screenshot below is my attempt to correct a double entry and making matters worse by my actions. Ashley GILL is married to Calvin YOUNG who was the person I entered twice. They have a daughter between them Layla YOUNG. To get to this sorry state, on the records page I highlighted Calvin YOUNGs name, pressed the delete key on the keypad and then pressed OK. My problem seems to be, having two “no spouse” tabs which need removing before I can enter Calvin’s details. When the tabs are removed, and his details entered would I be correct in thinking that on the descendant chart Calvin would appear as married to Ashley and Layla would appear only once as their daughter. I would appreciate your help very much as I am really in difficulty.

Many thanks for your anticipated help

Malcolm Arrow
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Double Entry query

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Malcolm.

To attach screenshots you cannot use weblinks. Anyway, OneDrive links need shared access that was not set correctly.
To attach screenshot images see the FHUG Knowledge Base Forum Usage Tips under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.

It is not clear why you have two <no spouse> tabs.
Has Ashley GILL had two husbands or is it a side-effect of entering Calvin YOUNG twice?
On which of those two tabs does Layla YOUNG appear?

The <no spouse> tabs are there because you have deleted Calvin YOUNG from his wife.
But if you have only deleted one of two Calvin YOUNG records it is not clear why both husbands have gone.

I presume when you performed that deletion that there were two Calvin YOUNG records?

If you use the Add Spouse/Partner link and choose Link Existing Record then you can select the surviving Calvin YOUNG record, if there is one, to restore him as the husband.

It may be necessary to revert your Project database to an automatic Snapshot taken this morning.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mja2020
Family Historian: V6

Post by mja2020 »

Thank you very much for your reply, sorry about the delay in answering but have had family problems.
Ashley Gill has not had two husbands, the two “no spouse” tabs are as a result of entering Cavin Young twice.

Layla Young appears on both “no spouse” tabs when selected.

You are absolutely right, I also can’t understand why deleting one record resulted in both entries of Calvin Young being deleted and the appearance of two “no spouse”. This was the action I took to arrive at this position. I entered Calvin Young twice but he only appeared once on the records page. I deleted this entry by using the delete key on the keyboard.

Therefore, the basis of my problem lies in your question “if you have only deleted one of two Calvin Young records.” Or in the way I explained that on the records page there was only one entry for Calvin Young, meaning I did not have the option to delete one of the two records.

Originally, there were two Calvin young entries on the focus window which resulted unexpectedly producing only one Calvin Young’s appearance on the records page.

I am unable to use the “add spouse/partner” link because Calvin Young is no longer on the program.

I have tried to make clear by answering your questions in some depth and hope by doing so the position that I am in is clearer.

I do appreciate your time and effort on my behalf,
Many Thanks,
Malcolm Arrow
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Reading between the lines, does this make sense:
You had only one Calvin Young record but added him as spouse to Ashley Gill twice.

That would cause both Calvin & Ashley and Layla to appear twice in the Focus Window.

The important point is to understand that both Individual records and Family records are involved.

It is the two Family records, all with the same family members, that causes the Individuals to appear twice.
When you delete one Individual record they are removed from both Family records.
Does that make sense?

When you display Ashley Gill in the Focus Window she will appear twice with a blue bar running across under her but above her child Layla Young in both cases.
Does either of those two blue bars contain any Marriage details, etc?

With that answer we can proceed to sort things out.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry