* Using FH Family Trees on Independent Website

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
farm7880
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Using FH Family Trees on Independent Website

Post by farm7880 »

I have a one-place history study of Steeple Morden, Cambridgeshire, which involves 500+ families and I use FH to record data for people and generate diagrams, notably “standard” family trees.
I want to use the trees, some are very large especially width, on my WordPress based website, www.steeplemordenhistory.com, which is independent of FH.
I have experimented with importing tree diagrams in pdf and jpg formats, in varying sizes and splitting pages etc. I am struggling to arrive at sensible size and page split, whilst maintaining legible text.
Has anybody experience of this or can point me in direction of the “how to” manual? Perhaps my approach is simply wrong and there is a better plan B?
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Using FH Family Trees on Independent Website

Post by Valkrider »

It may be worth looking at an alternative such as the SVG Family Tree Generator. This will import your gedcom and produce a tree in either HTML or SVG format for displaying on your website. There is an article on the Knowledgebase about this SVG Family-Tree Generator
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

I am not a user or expert on Wordpress, but it should be quite simple to do. I have a research website on two family names - www.http://www.bourchier.tantrem.com/index.php - where I have done a similar thing by adding a couple of lines of html into one of the standard php pages, in this case the index.php.

At the time I was using FHv6.27 and in FH generated the charts and saved them as jpg files into an img folder on the website.
I then added the following lines to the index file in the correct spot to be able to display them:

<li><a href="img/Robert_Bourchier_descendants.jpg" target="_blank"><b>Bourchier descendants Chart</b></a> &nbsp;&nbsp; click the magnifier + to view full size and your browser. It will open in a new window</li>
<li><a href="img/Ralph_Bowker_descendants.jpg" target="_blank"><b>Bowker descendants Chart</b></a>&nbsp;&nbsp; click the magnifier + to view full size and your browser. It will open in a new window</li>

These are the bottom two lines on the main index.php in the centre column, which you can test to see the effects.

You will have to experiment with the jpg files that you need, and where to place them within the wp folder structures, and where to add them within your website.

Hope this helps.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

This is how I display FH pdf diagrams on a Wordpress website. Works well, including large diagrams on a single page.
14apr2021.JPG
14apr2021.JPG (107.96 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Trevor Rix
farm7880
Gold

Post by farm7880 »

Thank you. Very interesting. It looks that it does exactly what I want to achieve. Do you use a PDF "handler" within Wordpress? We are looking at installing https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/pdf-embedder/ .

Coincidence that your example is just down the road from me at Biggleswade.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I upload the PDFs to the Wordpress gallery, then insert this button link in the Wordpress page (in this example)
http://wordpress.xxxxxxxxx.org.uk/wp-co ... xxxxxx.pdf

For the centre Preview column I use the Wordpress plugin "WP Image Zoom".
Trevor Rix
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

For "Plan B," you might want to consider using John Cardinal's GedSite program. Its charting options are extremely flexible and require less technical expertise than one might think. It integrates perfectly with Family Historian using the Export GEDCOM plug-in. Details at https://www.gedsite.com.