* Creating a "AKA " Field in the Main Dialogue Box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
scoobydoouk
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Creating a "AKA " Field in the Main Dialogue Box

Post by scoobydoouk »

I am using FH Version 7.0.3
A question relating to editing what appears in the docked Dialogue Box (MAIN Tab):
At the moment, if I wish to see a person's alternate name/AKA/Also Known AS, I see I have to click on the "more(+) " next to the person's name to a seperate box.
Is it possible to create an "AKA" field and get that to appear as a seperate line under the person's name inthe Diaogue Box (Main tab)?
I tried to create AKA using the Customise Property Box. I got that AKA field to appear as a seperate entry line in the Dialogue Box, but after I exit viewing that person after having filled in the newly created field, and then come back to that person, whatever I had written, has disappered?
If someone is able to guide me through the process to create what I want step by step, I would be most grateful
With grateful thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Creating a "AKA " Field in the Main Dialogue Box

Post by tatewise »

I hope you don't mind but I've moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because the New Wish List Requests is not appropriate for a general enquiry like this.

You are on exactly the right track for displaying the first Alternate Name field on the Main tab of the Property Box.
It would help us if you explained exactly what data reference you had entered so we can explain what was wrong.
In the Customize Property Box... dialogue the Data Reference must be %INDI.NAME[2]% i.e. 2nd NAME instance because the Primary Name data reference is %INDI.NAME[1]% i.e. 1st NAME instance.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
scoobydoouk
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by scoobydoouk »

Thank you so much.
I still have to learn how to input data references and letting me know what this should be, looks to have answered my quiery
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Are you using the Data Ref Assistant that is on the right of every expression box?
In this case, it is the <<Select button next to the Data Reference box.
In there you can select Individual + Name that gives you %INDI.NAME[1]%
What you must remember is that multiple instance items such as Names, Occupations, Census events, etc, need the instance number in the [ brackets ]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry