* Narrative report formatting

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TMG_refugee
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Narrative report formatting

Post by TMG_refugee »

I am trying to get a readable narrative report from FH 7.0.3.

Everything comes out as one long paragraph. I know I can add a <para> or a <br> to a sentence to get some formatting but that is very unworkable for good formatting. I either need to modify a sentence structure and then that applies to all instances of the fact or I can modify individual fact sentences but that is problematic since the sentence is no longer connected to the base sentence structure. Neither the global or the individual fact solution works the way I would like.

Is there a way to create some formatting on the paragraph scale which is not global or disconnects from the main fact sentence?

Based on what facts are contained in an individual's set of facts I want to be able to create paragraph breaks or not so that I don't have many pages of a run on paragraph.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Narrative report formatting

Post by tatewise »

I presume your second option 'is problematic' because any changes to the global Sentence Template will not get reflected in the specific edited Templates.

It might be possible to resolve that problem with a Plugin but put that aside for a moment.

I thought that the =FactSentence(%FACT%) function might offer a solution.
That would allow <para> or <br> to be added but still retain a coupling with the global Sentence Template.
However, I soon discovered it is recursive as it refers to itself when the specific Template is edited and crashes FH.

The only solution I can think of is to add {note} to the global Sentence Template and then add a blank line or two to the local Note of any Fact that needs paragraph spacing. Remember you can hide other Note text in [[privacy]] brackets to prevent it appearing in Reports.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
TMG_refugee
Famous

Post by TMG_refugee »

Mike,

Thank you for your response. Adding a new line in the note field may just do the job.

I'm surprised no one else seems to have asked about this. I was hoping that maybe CP/FH might do something for this but if I am alone in this then it probably shouldn't be done.

I'm still waiting for a fix in the narrative report for sentence structures longer than 1000 characters. It has been reported and passed to the developers but it is probably a low priority. I'm confident it will be fixed at some point.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I reported to CP that the {=FactSentence(%FACT%)} function in Sentence templates crashes FH.
That problem will be fixed.

I also asked if the following would be possible.
Can the {=FactSentence(%FACT%)} function appear in a specific Fact local Sentence to invoke the Tools > Fact Types... global Sentence Template?
Then such as {=FactSentence(%FACT%)}<para>{note} would display the global sentence followed by a paragraph break and the Fact local Note text.
The reply was that is not possible.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry