* Sources image duplication in 'Family Group Sheet' in FH7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Croftian
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Sources image duplication in 'Family Group Sheet' in FH7

Post by Croftian »

Is it possible to restrict images of sources in a 'Family Group Sheet' to one, even though the source may be quoted for a number of different items.
In a Family Group Sheet I am using as a basis for a Web/ CD I have multiple images of birth certificates, census pages, etc.

I'm impressed with the ability to enlarge images on a Web/ CD, which will be useful for sharing with family members.

fingers crossed !

cheers
Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Sources image duplication in 'Family Group Sheet' in FH7

Post by tatewise »

Even if an identical Source Citation is cited multiple times it should only appear once in the Sources section of a Report.
Therefore, a Media image attached to the Source record should only appear once.
However, it does depend on what Report > Options > Sources tab settings you have chosen.
If the Report is not arranged the way you want, then tell us what is wrong and also the Sources tab settings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Are all the citations of each source absolutely identical? If so, make sure the option to Combine Identical Citations for the Same Source is still slected in Report Options > Sources tab (it is ticked by default).

If any of the details are different, (for example Where within Source, Citation Note) each citation will be listed separately. There is a setting in Report Options>Sources to Use "Ibid" for Run of Repeated Citations to a Source, which is set by default, and means that only the fields which are different are shown in successive citations. Unfortunately this only works if the citations are immediately one after the other, and even then it doesn't stop the Source image being reperated each time, even though it is identical in each case.

I think this has been discussed elsewhere in these forums and has been reported to the developers, but I'm afraid I can't find the relevant topic.
Lorna
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Thanks Mike & Lorna, I've managed to sort the duplication, it seems to be as Lorna stated, when checking the different citations for a source, I discovered that the dates on the citations varied, this is a hangover from my historical bad practice of using the date section for the date I had entered the data !! Going back to FH3 in 2008.

So I've got a lot of housekeeping to do, luckily the plug in " List all citations for a selected source " (my first plug in ) has proved very helpful, thanks Jane.

Also attaching screenshot of Report Options box as used.
Report Options box.JPG
Report Options box.JPG (70.13 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
cheers
Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Or you could hide the Entry Date if it is not needed in the Report and that will avoid the duplicates.
Use Tools > Preferences > Sources and the Generic Sources Formats... button where you can untick Entry Date.

I assume you are still using all Generic Source Citations.
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Mike

will that work on all previous citations ?
I'll try it later.

Ian
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

tatewise wrote: 02 Apr 2021 17:10 Or you could hide the Entry Date if it is not needed in the Report and that will avoid the duplicates.
Use Tools > Preferences > Sources and the Generic Sources Formats... button where you can untick Entry Date.

I assume you are still using all Generic Source Citations.
Mike
I tried hiding the entry date ,to no avail .
The benefit is it forces me to "tidy" my sources and citations, which frankly were in a mess !!!
cheers
Ian
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Do you mean the entry date is still being displayed, despite having unticked it in the footnote options? That shouldn't happen.

If the date is correctly hidden but duplicate citations are still being shown there must be some other differences in the details, such as Where Within Source or Citation Notes.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is similar to what I thought Lorna, so I experimented.
With identical Source Citations on three successive Facts, the Report only lists one Sources entry.
None of them have any Citation specific fields.

The Tools > Preferences > Sources > Generic Source Formats... for Footnote has no Citation Details options ticked.

However, adding an Entry Date or Where Within Source results in an Ibid. entry under Sources even though hidden.
Whereas, adding an Assessment or Text From Source or a Note or Media does not!

Ah! Found it. In Generic Source Formats... both the Footnote and Short Footnote options must have no Citation Details options ticked.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

That is certainly odd, Mike, and has reminded me of another issue related to footnotes which I raised during beta testing.

I found that some information is repeated unnecessarily in ‘Ibid’ footnotes, even when the information is not part of the citation details but is in the source record itself. Even more oddly, this is dependent not only on what options have been selected in Tools>Preferences>Sources>Generic Source Formats, and also on the order in which the selected items are displayed in the footnote!

I wonder if the order is affecting the issues with the citation fields as well?

I don’t have time to experiment further at the moment but this is what I reported at the time:
In this example created from the FH Sample project, an Individual Summary Report for Anthony Edward Munro, I have added ‘Sample Publication info’ and ‘Sample Repository’ to an existing source which is cited for his name and birth.

The first screenshot shows the resulting footnotes in the report when the default settings are used. The Repository has been repeated after ‘Ibid’ in the second footnote, unnecessarily.

The second screenshot shows the effect of changing the order of the items so that the publication details are listed at the end. In this case both the repository and the publication details are repeated.

I have not exhaustively tested what gets repeated or exactly how the order of the items affects the result, but the use of ‘Ibid’ should supress these repetitions.
snip1.jpg
snip1.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
snip2.jpg
snip2.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 3671 times

The topic was moved to Held Issues during Beta testing, so CP must be aware of it.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe you have misunderstood what I discovered which I think logically explains what was happening.
In Tools > Preferences > Sources > Generic Source Formats... there are two sets of Citation Details tick options.
One is for Format: Footnote and the other for Format: Short Footnote chosen at the top.

If any Citation Details option is ticked for either Format then those details may appear in the Report Sources footnotes, depending on the Report > Options > Sources tab settings at the top.
The default is to show Footnotes but the Use Short Footnotes... tick option can show Short Footnotes.

First, consider the default when Footnotes are shown.
The Format: Footnote template has none of the Citation Details tick options selected.
The Format: Short Footnote template does have Citation Details tick options selected.
If different Citations have different values for any of those ticked fields then the Sources section has Ibid. entries even though those values are hidden because they are not in the Footnote template.

Those Citation values only appear when the Use Short Footnotes... tick option is selected and Use "Ibid." ... is not ticked and the source has already been cited.

However, should that potential appearance of those values cause Ibid. entries when the Use Short Footnotes... tick option is NOT selected?
Maybe that is a bug.

My feeling is that your beta test scenario is somewhat different.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

However, should that potential appearance of those values cause Ibid. entries when the Use Short Footnotes... tick option is NOT selected?
Maybe that is a bug.
Yes, I'm sure that is a bug.
adding an Entry Date or Where Within Source results in an Ibid. entry under Sources even though hidden.
Whereas, adding an Assessment or Text From Source or a Note or Media does not!
I agree that my beta test scenario is rather different but I mentioned it in case the order in which the fields are arranged in the footnote had some bearing on the above. In other words I wondered if Entry date and Where Within Source have a different effect from Assessment or Text From Source or a Note because of the order in which they are all arranged. I haven't managed to work out quite what it is about the order that makes a difference, but I'm sure it shouldn't make a difference!
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have belatedly reported that Ibid. bug as 'Generic Source Footnotes in Reports' [#142469]
It not only reports the Tools > Preferences > Sources tab, Generic Source Formats... impact on Ibid. but also suggests that templated Source Citations may suffer the same problem although less likely because the Footnote and Short Footnote templates are adjacent on the same screen.
The side-effect of duplicated Source images is also mentioned.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

CP say it will be fixed in the next minor upgrade. :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This problem claims to be fixed in FH v7.0.5 released recently.

If two or more Citations have the same field values or images they should only appear once in the Sources section of Reports.