* 2021 Converted Icons

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ELM
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

2021 Converted Icons

Post by ELM »

I have downloaded these icons from the FHUG download page. Put them in the icon folder as per instructions. But find the icons have a white background. What have I done wrong or omitted to do?
With the .bmp icons the top left pixel set the colour to invisible but does the same apply to the emf icons.
Attachments
Icons.png
Icons.png (14.07 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: 2021 Converted Icons

Post by tatewise »

I don't think you have done anything wrong. Many of those .emf Icons have coloured backgrounds like the .bmp they are derived from and it seems the ones with white backgrounds have not retained the 'transparency' feature.
Perhaps use the FHUG KB Contact Form to request those ones are adjusted. It must be possible because many of the .emf Icons supplied by FH have 'transparent' backgrounds.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Best hope the author who created them sees this post. Or that somebody volunteers to convert them.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Will the KB 'Contact Form' reach the author?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If we have the author on record, yes, but a lot of the content is very old and the author is unknown/uncontactable.

These icons were converted from very old content that already had the same white background, and just replicated the old content in the new emf format.

To remove the background, somebody is going to have to go through and modify the old icons and then convert them to emf. I have alerted the person who did the conversion, but would not blame them if they felt it too much work to take on to fix a problem introduced 5 years ago or more and not raised at the time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, Helen but you are mistaken. The original .bmp icons DO have transparent backgrounds. It is the recent conversion to .emf that has not propagated the transparency but substituted solid white. The .bmp Icon convention is that the top-left pixel identifies the transparency colour. I thought that was all made very clear by the OP.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Screenshot 2021-03-31 171035.png
Screenshot 2021-03-31 171035.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Background looks white to me, but I don't do graphics so maybe I'm wrong :) and "I thought that was all made very clear by the OP." doesn't help me in the least.

Anyway, the point stands -- either the person who did the conversions has to be willing to redo them, or somebody else needs to take the job on.
ELM
Platinum

Post by ELM »

It looks white but is should be transparent! That is showing the colour of the background.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The back ground I viewed the bmp on is blue, not white (as you can see at the edges). (The screenshot is a png but the image I was viewing was bmp). Somebody who actually does stuff with graphics needs to sort the images out.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Looks transparent in a Diagram Icon when using LastWill.bmp which is what the OP is using but as LastWill.emf.
I think you have chosen a different icon Will England.bmp which does have a white background.
LastWill.png
LastWill.png (15.68 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thank you, Mike -- I didn't think I was going mad.
GJKent

Post by GJKent »

I find it very disappointing that voluntary work done (in some cases) 15 years ago, is now facing such criticism! Some of the Icons were provided back in 2006, but only a few of them by myself.

As has been said, the icons in question were converted from the original .bmp icons into .emf using an on-line tool over which there is / was no control of transparency etc.

I do not believe that there is any value in trying to repair those contained in the "2021 Converted Icons" as many icons are available for free on a variety of websites.

Might I suggest that, if you are not happy with the Icons contained within fH7 or on the FHUG, you do a search on Google for "Icons emf xxxx" where xxxx is the specific name for the one you want. If you are then sucessful, why not upload them yourself ???
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but where did anybody criticise the original .bmp icons?
The discussion has been about the recent conversion to .emf icons without knowing the intricacies of how that was done.
This is the first time it has been explained that an automatic online tool was used.
It seems perfectly reasonable to ask what the situation is and whether there is an easy solution.
I suspect this may be a recurring topic for users upgrading from FH V6 with .bmp icons to FH V7 with .emf icons.
GJKent

Post by GJKent »

What is reasonable to you, Mike, is not reasonable to other people.

If you want to carry out any further work on the icons, please feel free. I, for one, will not do so as I did not create them in the first place.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am gobsmacked!
You now seem to be saying that the OP was unreasonable in having the temerity to ask the question :o

It seems that lockdown is making every one tetchy.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Let's take a step back.

Some not all of the icons in bmp format were created with transparency but I am not aware of any issues being raised at the time.

Graham generously took the time to convert the bmp icons to emf using an automated tool. In the process more of the icons lost transparent backgrounds.

Any work to create consistent transparent backgrounds will have to start with the original icons (or will it? Perhaps somebody with the appropriate skill set will know.) Graham does not intend to carry out the work so we need another volunteer… either to convert the existing icons or to assemble a new collection.

It was helpful of ELM to surface the issue. In the absence of a quick solution the best option seems to be to search for better icons on the Internet! (if none of the existing emfs are suitable).

A warning on the icon set might be helpful as well.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to clarify.

Bitmaps as used in FH of any date will take the "transparency" from the top left pixel of the bitmap. Windows BMP files do not natively contain transparency.

So any tool which converts BMP files to EMF will include the backgrounds as they are set in the file. So to get rid of the backgrounds will probably need manual adjustment, converting to png or similar deleting the background to create the transparency and then converting to emf.

For example the number icons provided in FH were actually redrawn in Inkscape rather than being converted.

If you use EMF files FH 7 will assume the transparency is already included so will not try and replace any colours. You can still use Bitmap files in FH 7, so if you have problems with the converted items using the old BMP ones will still work.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."