* problem viewing landscape *.RTF reports in MSWord

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

problem viewing landscape *.RTF reports in MSWord

Post by jimlad68 »

Hope this not discussed before, but I can't find it!

- I saved a Narrative Descendant Report (9 pages inc 3 pages source text) as PORTRAIT RTF and open in MSWord365 on laptop no problems.
- I changed the layout to LANDSCAPE
- Open auto in MSWord365, and the end is truncated, mostly the sources, but sometimes tailend of some individual info.
BUT OK IF
- From MSword I save as docx file and reopen
- From FH save as web [edit - pdf shows blank pages Portrait+Landscape, I think as others have reported]

- Two MSWord views do work, ironically neither are offered on the Status bar. The old NORMAL/DRAFT (Ctrl+Alt+N) and Outline. Those offered on the status bar (Read Mode, Print Layout, Web layout) all truncate the RTF file.

Hope this workaround might help someone else, but why would Landscape create this problem?
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Re: problem viewing landscape *.RTF reports in MSWord

Post by tatewise »

My guess is that it is another symptom of the new Rich Text Format handling in FH V7 that is also causing various problems with Save As PDF, installation on Window 7, etc.

Assuming the symptoms are reproducible then report them to Calico Pie as usual.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Do you get the same problem if in FH you change the Printer Setup... to Landscape and then save as RTF?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

When I looked, Print Setup was already on Landscape with default printer PDF, so I changed it to portrait.
It then worked OK report still in landscape.
So put Print Setup back to Landscape, and still OK!

The original fault was the first time in v7 I have produced a report to rtf and perused it it in MSWord.

Just now was the first time in v7 I did anything with Print Setup.

I'm "fairly" sure, but not certain, that in the middle of all this I had restarted FHv7, and in any case had restarted many times over the last few days, so I suppose "nudging/resetting" FH printer settings might have fixed it.

At least if it happens again, there is hopefully a workaround and quick fix.

So Nick, what made you think of Print Setup?
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Well the page on the screen was in portrait mode so if you're saving that it makes sense that it will be formatted in portrait. I looked for a way to change it to Landscape and the only place where I could see that was in the Printer Setup. Changing it there changes it to landscape on the screen and so I then assumed it would save it in RTF in landscape.

I'm glad my hunch worked!

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Nick, interesting. It looks like there are 2 (at least) Page Setup situations.
To make the report go to landscape I used Page Setup within the report, if I look at another report that may show portrait.

At your prompting, I'm not sure why, but I changed the portrait/landscape from FILE > Page Setup.
It seems the report Page Setup does not need to match the FILE > Page Setup.
However, it looks like amending the FILE > Page Setup, might have nudged/reset something.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I could not get File > Print Setup to differ from the Report display Print Setup on the right.
The Printer Name, Paper Size and Orientation are always identical.
How did you get them to be different?
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike, OK, I don't know how but here is "how it is for me"
- I have 2 similar custom narrative descendants reports, but separately saved.
- Via REPORT Printer setup (above Save Report as) one is set to Portrait the other to Landscape
- whatever I do elsewhere, as long as the report window is not the active window (see later), e.g. FILE > Print setup, whenever they are used they retain their orientation.

This would make sense to me, otherwise one would have to update the report after any printer setups elsewhere.

BUT, after going round in circles, I now think it might be to do with what windows are open when, and what settings are changed.
- if you make your print setup changes when your report window is open in either FILE>print setup or Report print setup, they both change, but not other reports. AND I think only for the changes you make. So if you change page size, that will change in both, but if you have not changed orientation, that will not change in the other. I think!

For info, the reason I wanted Landscape is to make better use of my screen real estate, especially as reports seem to open by default at 100% 1 page and I also change the font to be readable.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I see what you mean. So it needs great care when managing Print Setup to ensure the desired settings are in force.